Chapter 17 - Mister Misunderstood

"If I had a choice, I would have taken it" Venezia was disappointed in herself when she told this to her maiden and her only best friend, Hannah. All the candles on the huge candlestand beside the window was lit now, she decided to light it herself. As if it was the only thing that was keeping her from feeling totally worthless and turning her life around. She missed herself, and worse she was about to make commitment to something that she doesn't mostly enjoy. Sure, she is a worthy disciple at the convent, but only because of her father. But even after her father's demise, his weight lay heavy on Venezia's shoulder. Heavier than before. 

The weight grows heavier when she realizes the loss of her only lover, for whom she might be the reason of why he is behaving totally insane. Off course, she couldn't fathom the exact reason of why he has lost all his feelings for Venezia, what did she do to deserve that. Why was everything in her reality topsy-turvy. But she was helpless. Helpless in between the shackles of society and helpless in the loss of love. Helpless of all she wanted to have but couldn't. 

The cold autumn breeze was felt by the long white curtains, lingering smoothly beside the huge arched windows of Venezia's chambers. Hannah consoled her in her misery while she was lost in her thoughts. She felt pathetic. She never liked feeling this way, but lately she's been feeling a lot like this. And, usually when she felt this way, she used to play with her sword in hideout. Now, she won't be able to do that anymore, more so, now that she will come forward in the view of the public eye. 

"Do you mind leaving me alone for a while in my chambers Hannah?" her misery was turning to be even more depressing and she doesn't want anyone to notice it, not even her maiden.

"of course m'lady" Hannah left unnoticeably after bowing to her. 

--

At this late autumn evening, an arrival of an unexpected guest is highly avoidable. But, Bruce's stallion was very much noticeable from the stables downstairs. Reasons? unexplained. 

As he marched past the dark alleyway of Venezia mansion, he self-countered multiple questions to himself? why has his prey changed all of a sudden? is he sure of what he is about to commit? a crime, although committed easily at this time, felt like the most difficult task of his life. But this isn't a crime he is about to commit. It's justice. He is simple a heartbroken, torn grown up son, who hasn't really achieved anything for his mother who he looks up-to. And, all along while he was trying his best, finishing his last ray of hope is merciless. He felt like either he would kill himself or kill the perpetrator. Latter was easier. 

His sword hung beside him with his last ray of hope and rage, heavy with courage made him drown in thirst for justice. Justice by blood, Justice by choice. Nobody questioned him besides the guards at the entrance, Hannah allowed him in assuming for rightful reasons. Hannah trusted him enough because she knew, and also because she didn't wanted to disturb  Venezia for the time being . She felt alarmed when she asked his reasons, instead he urged to meet Venezia in a fit of rage. 

His heavy voice echoed in the entire mansion and soon Venezia was alarmed for some danger. She was surprised, sure, but more than that she was perplexed. She rightfully asked his reasons for such a visit and why is he not doing his duty to keep an eye on Mark. 

"I DO NOT OBLIGE TO YOUR COMMAND MISSY !" Bruce shouted with his eyes wide open with rage and pointing fingers at her. 

"Do you hear yourself?" Venezia chose to stay calm and collected. 

'WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?" Bruce shouted. "YOU THINK YOU'RE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE? YOU'RE THINK YOU CAN GET EVERYTHING YOUR WAYYYY, YOU THINK YOU CAN MANIPULATE ME SO EASILY???????????" 

"What ? Why are you saying all of this?" 

In the dark lit room, the shadows of arguments echoed for a while with Venezia being perplexed and Bruce trying to find all the answers behind his deepest emotions. He surely did felt like a pawn all his life but didn't really knew why? The more he tries, the more he is played. 

With sundown, the clouds moved apart from the sky and the doors of a long arched window flew opened with yet another unexpected guest. It was Rio. 

Some impulsiveness in Bruce shoots up with nervousness and he ran towards the door into the corridor to save himself from this unwelcomed guest. Before, he could know, a dagger crossed right at the center of his head and blood started oozing out. His eyes wide open, he fell on the floor and remained, a dead man. 

Venezia saw all of this and being horrified, by default considered Rio to be a threat. Without any hesitation, She drew out her sword from under her bed and attacked the unarmed man without thinking through.

Rio suffered an injury. A cut on his left bicep. But for the first time, that cut wasn't painful to him, neither did it sting or burn, it remained an open wound which made him smile. 

He smiled at her softly and she got even more horrified. 

A large, heavy built man, pretty much recognizable, smiling at her in an attack. She attacked consequently and he protected himself in defense, pulling his sword out.

After two-three more continuous and rigorous attacks, he was easily able to defend himself in each one of them with finesse which made Venezia wonder why is it so easy for him? 

has she been practicing well lately ? Is it that easy to dodge her? 

Soon he pushed her back after he was done tolerating her. 

And she was left confused and defeated entirely. 

Until Rio asked her, "Do you know why i killed him in front of you?"  in a low and heavy tone

She remained speechless. 

"He was going to finish you off." Rio paused while softly staring into her eyes. "Your lover might just be the reason."

Venezia was not at all surprised. All she was now confused was, about Rio's identity and so she asked ...

"And who are you to tell me that, if i may ask?" putting her sword back to her place.

"Your father!" Rio announced.