Chapter 19 - Absolution

After few days of intense travel, Venezia was not just troubled with anxious thoughts on her mind, running wild, but also deeply fatigued riding on the horseback. Rio accompanied her from behind, knowing what he must've impulsively done might be emotionally wrong from his daughter's point of view. At the end of the day, it's his own daughter. She is just like him, emotional but not so good at expressing it. 

She cried, she crossed  and even got bruised on the way , but she never left her saddle. The physical pain was felt by each pebble on her way to Venice and when she finally reached, she loathed the men standing around Mark, keeping him custody in his room. 

They were themselves waiting for Rio to come back. For his one last final call, before they can finish him off. 

Mark, was deeply bruised but not in pain. There was not a single tinch of physical pain that Mark have felt, but only after Venezia's arrival...he felt a knot in his stomach. He was kind of expecting her to arrive. How and why? Can't say. Mark's brain is so messed up right now, it is physically impossible for him to understand himself. All he knows is, he needs rest. 

On the other hand, Venezia was gritting her teeth at the sight of those strange men. She immediately unleashed her sword and warned them around her while slowly entering the room. Mark was all tied up in a broken wooden chair in the middle of his red room and Rio's arrival was yet to be found. 

Unaware of Venezia's identity, all of them felt threatened by her but none of them initiated to fight her. The woman was not just in rage, she was emotional. She can easily be the reason of their death and they all were too afraid for that. 

Until, Rio arrived at the door. 

Venezia turned around and started to untie Mark, feeling the security of her father's command on his own men. 

But Rio's presence made one of them feel guilty for staying back, in order to prove himself in-front of his master, he ran towards Venezia and stabbed her ribs from behind.

"VENEZIAAA !!!!" Rio screamed in horror. 

Everything froze for a while and Rio was left in disbelief. 

His blood turned cold, and he easily got triggered from his past. 

He is again, a part of the Mafia. And the Mafia, again has hurt his own family. He is again, the reason to hurt his own blood, his own daughter. 

Nothing could hurt her more than himself. So, why was he protecting her from everyone else this  entire time?

The promises he made to Venezia's mother, broke. His wife was right, one day the mafia would kill his entire family and him, too. 

Until, Rio was trying to process all his trauma, his hands were shaking and he has never felt weaker in his entire life. His body felt frozen, but Venezia's wasn't . 

With a dagger, stabbed on her back. She held herself and took a quick turn, driving her unleashed knife on the perpetrator's neck and killing him instantly. 

"Nobody, dare to come near the prince , DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" Venezia whispered. 

Each and every man got filled with rage within a second and charged up at her together. 

"AGHH !!!" Venezia defended, killing two. 

She paused and then immediately pulled a danger buckled on her left ankle.

In a blink of an eye, it striked another man on his throat. While the man standing in front of him was shocked at the attack, he could barely pay attention. So Venezia's sword easily passed through his chest, making the floor taste a pool of blood. 

four men killed, three injured. 

This is the first time, Venezia has made a bloodbath happen, that she swore to herself, she'll never do. 

With blood spilled over her face, she screams with eyes wide open, "I SAID, NOBODY, DARE TO COME NEAR THE PRINCE ... DO. YOU. UNDERSTAND???"

Rio did, let her finish what he started. 

he was at peace , drowned in guilt and shame. 

She sensed a surge of calm, when she looks at her father for a final moment. He was kneeling in front of her, at the door and she regained her control, breathing heavily. She gave a look to him, a look... of forgiveness. Her look was kind, not angry. It was peaceful and silent.

She slowly, turned to Mark and spoke whatever, she felt right at that moment. 

"Prince Mark, You should return to your kingdom, your people awaits you."

After being untied, Mark wasn't himself anymore. He had no energy to stand and prove anything to Venezia. 

Both the men, however important to her life, was utterly guilty of their crimes in front of her. 

After a brief moment of silence, Mark spoke softly. 

"Venezia-" But he was interrupted. 

"I love you , Mark." Tears rolling down her cheeks, she finally confessed. She knelt in front of him. 

Mark, immediately kneeling down in front of his own chair, held her shoulders tightly. 

She was injured, bad. So, she simply rested her head on his shoulder while he held both of her upper arms.

Both sobbed slowly, leaning onto each other. 

Rio, realized that he should get in action to help Venezia survive the injury. He immediately, went downstairs to seek a doctor. 

"I can never be the reason of your death" She whispered slowly into his years.

"And yes, i can happily sacrifice myself for you if i have to, again and again..."

Mark couldn't deal with his unbearable sadness, with tears constantly flowing down , he held her cheeks and looked into her eyes. 

"I wish we never met." He said. 

"I haven't had the easiest life Venezia, and i know that i am impossible to understand..." He paused while crying and sobbing continuously.

"But my love and desire for you has never ended. i wish to see you again, in next life maybe?"

"Hopefully yeah, but not a prince." Her wet eyes smiled at him.

and he giggled, holding her in his arms.. "You don't have to prove your love to me Mark.. i have seen it in your eyes, i know."

"No Venezia, i do not deserve you, i have tried to kill you twice-"

" and you have tried to kill yourself too." Venezia immediately replied.

 "How'd you know?" Mark asked.

"And you thought i was coming after you?" Venezia stated.

A doctor came running inside the room, accompanied by Rio. He asked Rio to immediately shift Venezia to a new room. 

When Venezia was being carried in Rio's arms, Mark and her never broke the eye contact. 

She grinned at him and simply said "Be Clever, next time."