Chapter Ten

My mundane question dumbfounded my mother-in-law completely. She stared at me blankly, her jaw dropping open. I dropped one sugar in her tea and added just a splash of cream as she usually took it. Then, I turned to Miss Williamson.

"Would you be kind enough to hand this to the dowager?" I asked, holding the teacup out to her. "I do not wish for her to move more than necessary when she has had such a terrible day."

Eager to be useful, the young lady jumped up and did as I asked. Her sister and mother began talking about a novel they had begun to read together. The moment of tension had passed, but I knew it was not forgotten. Lady Jonson caught my eye and subtly winked, smiling with approval, before she engaged Mrs. Reynolds in conversation.

The dowager grumbled something I didn't understand, which was perhaps for the best. Since she was no longer the center of attention, she didn't seem to know what to do with herself. She glared at her tea like a child might when they are thwarted.

Taking the high road was exhausting. Or maybe I was just worn out from the long, stressful day. I could have gladly seen all of them to the front door and bid them all farewell. How was I supposed to entertain them all for the rest of the party?

"Mr. Harper said there was an accident," Miss Reynolds spoke up, her tone curious. "Who was hurt?"

"Georgina!" her mother exclaimed immediately. "Such a question!"

"If it is someone I know, I would want to give them my best wishes, wouldn't I?" the young lady responded, her tone innocent. "It's not every day that an accident happens."

"I think you will find that accidents happen often all around you, Miss Reynolds," I told her seriously. "It is an unfortunate fact of life, especially when one is connected to a farm."

"For workers, yes," she said with a wave of her hand. "Is that what happened? A farm hand was injured? I thought with the concern from SIr Horace and Mr. Harper that it was someone important."

"Does your concern only extend as far as a person's rank or position?" I asked sharply.

"She means no offense, of course, my lady," Mrs. Reynolds said swiftly. "Georgina, really! What would your father say if he heard you now?"

That made the young lady flush with chagrin. "My apologies, Lady Leith," she said, though her tone was resentful. "Of course it is awful that an accident has happened. I hope the man or woman recovers quickly."

"And why should she apologize?" the dowager demanded. "She seems to be the only one of you with any sense of propriety! No young lady should be concerned with the goings-on of those beneath her."

"I'm sorry you think so, Mother."

Horace's voice made us all start, and we turned towards the doorway. Horace stood there with the other gentlemen behind him. It appeared they had little to speak about this evening.

"Oh Horace!" the dowager exclaimed, her face brightening. "At last you are here! I thought you would never come. Sit by me. You were gone for so long today. Where did you go?"

My husband's expression was set in one of grave seriousness as he moved further in. "As I told the group earlier, Mr. Harper and I had to attend to an accident that occurred, Mother," he answered. "Someone nearly lost their life. It was a very serious matter."

"No one said it wasn't!" she protested.

Poor Mr. Carter looked uneasy, tugging at his cravat. He made a bee-line to Miss Williamson. No doubt enduring her attempts at flirtation would be easier to bear than to take in the tension that was once again growing.