Chapter Six

Once again, I took advantage of the summer's fine weather for the day's activities. Mrs. and Miss Reynolds did not seem as pleased with the plan as the rest of my guests. On the one hand, I could understand their feelings. After all, the previous day, we had spent much of the afternoon playing lawn games. Games we were playing once again.

However, I had vague memories of picnics with my parents, so they held a special place in my heart. Who wouldn't want to enjoy the sunshine and gentle breeze?

It would have been impossible to miss how my mother-in-law glared at me. Clearly, she'd been told about the secret I'd been keeping.

"Have I mentioned that you're looking fine today, Lady Leith?" Sir Henry asked as he lowered himself onto the blanket next to me.

I raised my eyebrow at him. "No, but thank you for the compliment."

He inclined his head before turning to look at where a game of shuttlecock was being played by the ladies. His wife was among the players, laughing freely as she missed the birdie. It had to be the most undignified I had ever seen a woman who must be in her fifties.

"How do you do it?" I found myself asking before I thought better of it.

"What do you mean?" Sir Henry asked, returning his focus to me.

My cheeks flushed as I tried to rephrase the question in a way that wouldn't be offensive. "I mean, you and Lady Jonson do whatever you please and you don't seem to care what society thinks." I gestured to the game, hoping he understood what I meant.

"I suppose it does look that way," he said with a nod. "In truth, it isn't that simple. We have to live in society, so we do have to abide by the rules set forth. However, we do our best not to let those rules unduly control our lives."

"How?" First my aunt and then the dowager had done nothing but scold me about what a lady was and was not allowed to do. It had always seemed that there was more I wasn't supposed to do than what I could do.

"We do our best to understand which rules are in place for a reason, and which ones are more...suggestions." Sir Henry smiled. "We behave with perfect propriety when the situation calls for it. And my wife chases the shuttlecocks when she pleases."

Lady Jonson did look pleased with herself as she kept the shuttlecock from hitting the ground. I also caught sight of my mother-in-law's disapproving glare. "I wish it were easy to ignore what people think," I said softly.

"Nothing in life worth doing is ever easy, my lady."

His tone was kind. He had always been considerate, though I had only known him for a few years. It was difficult to imagine he was the 'H' person Juliet and I sought. But if it was not him, it was my husband. Or one of my husband's friends.

"My lady?" Sir Henry said, his tone concerned. "Is something wrong?"

With a start, I put on a smile. "Oh, no. Everything is fine."

He raised an eyebrow, but inclined his head in acceptance. "Do you and Sir Horace have plans to go to London this fall?"

"We haven't discussed it," I said honestly. "If I had my choice, I would rather stay here."

If all went well, I would be several months pregnant. Oh, I knew women could travel and go about their usual activities, just with a little more care. After all, women had been giving birth for hundreds of years, including women who had to work to support themselves. But I wanted to be as careful as I could.

"Ah, yes," Sir Henry said with a nod. "My valet told me you and your husband are expecting a happy occasion soon."

My cheeks flushed. How embarrassing! Now I really wanted to know which of the staff were gossiping. It wasn't Juliet. Would I have to ask Horace to have a word with his valet?