Chapter Seven

Fanny did a tolerable job getting me ready for dinner that evening. However, I would not consider her for the position when Juliet left. The thought that I would have to find a new maid made my stomach twist until I pushed the thought away.

I would deal with that when it was necessary.

Once again, dinner was lively. However, I had Mr. Carter and Mr. Williamson on either side of me, so I was unable to question any of the other 'H' gentlemen in the room. I did my best to rein in my impatience. Juliet may not have much time left in the house, but there was still at least a week for my house party.

If only I could think of a way to discreetly pry without raising any suspicions!

The party broke up after eleven o'clock. Horace walked me to my dressing room. "Mr. Bladen asked me a very strange question earlier," he commented.

"Oh?"

"He asked if Miss Juliet Sinclair was visiting. Do you know why he might think she would be here?"

Oh, dear. Why had Mr. Bladen done that? "Oh, earlier he thought he recognized one of the servants," I said, waving my hand dismissively. "I made sure he understood that he was mistaken and that I would not tolerate him disturbing the staff."

Horace made a sound of surprise. "That's odd. I never took Bladen as one to chase the maids."

Somehow I imagined Horace didn't know what I knew. "Where did you meet him?" I asked. "I don't recall seeing him before."

"Oh, we've been acquainted for a few years," he said evasively.

"Did you know he was courting Miss Sinclair years ago?"

I felt his arm tense under my hand. "I may have heard something of the sort," he answered. "Obviously nothing came of it."

"Yes, because he was not patient enough to wait." It was impossible to keep the disdain out of my voice. "The poor girl lost her entire family. Naturally she needed time to grieve her loss. And what did he do? Abandon her without a word!"

Horace came to a stop, pulling me with him. "How do you know that?"

Blast! I'd said too much. "How can you not have heard about this?" I asked to distract him. "Goodness, you've complained about the gossip of the drawing room before."

"Well, true," my husband said reluctantly. "I didn't think Miss Sinclair went out in society now."

"She doesn't have to for people to talk about her." Good heavens, how could he be so ignorant. "In fact, I've heard there have been more rumors about the Sinclairs this year. Some are saying that they were a family of traitors. Can you imagine?"

"Ah." With his free hand, Horace rubbed the back of his neck. "You're heard that, too."

"I hope you and Mr. Harper have done all you can to dispel the awful rumor. Mr. Sinclair was an honorable man and I think it's terrible that his reputation has been destroyed when he is not here to defend himself. His sister doesn't deserve to be maligned just because someone has taken a wrong idea into their head."

"I'm sure she hasn't even heard. If, as you say, she doesn't go out in society, there would be no one to tell her."

Scoffing, I pulled away from him. How could he say that? "You're an idiot sometimes, Horace. Good night."

I left him sputtering in the hallway and closed my dressing room door behind me. It had been an honest conversation, at least, but he'd held something back. I knew there was something he wasn't telling me.

"Are you well, my lady?" Fanny asked hesitantly.

Right. I'd sent Juliet to rest for the evening. What a shame. I could have used her as a sounding board for my feelings. But maybe it was better this way. I didn't want to take advantage of my friend.