Ask Me Again In Six Months (Ashton Imagine)

"Hey, what's wrong?" you spoke into the phone.

"I'm coming over," he said flatly on the other end.

You paused for a moment. "Ashton... it's three in the morning."

"So?"

"So your flight is leaving at nine. Shouldn't you sleeping?"

"I need to talk to you."

You sighed. "Fine. You know where I keep the spare key."

"See you in a few," he said, and the line went dead.

Running your hands through your hair, you took a deep breath, then closed your laptop and pulled on a sweatshirt. You headed to the kitchen. Whatever was going on with Ashton, you knew that tea would help. You put the kettle on and sat at the table, suddenly feeling completely exhausted.

The front door opened. You turned to find him placing the key back in its hiding place, in the fake potted plant. "Jesus Ash, that was quick. Did you run here?" 

His mouth was set in a grim line and he didn't laugh. "I've been lying awake all night," he said, plopping down into the seat next to you.

"Did something happen?"

"No. Yes. I don't know." He shook his head as if trying to clear his thoughts. 

You took one of his hands in both of yours. "Ash, we're best friends. Whatever's going on, you can tell me."

He looked at your hands wrapped around his. "Do you remember the day we first met? How  you hit me in the head with that volleyball at the beach?"

You smiled at the memory. "Of course. You had a bump on your head for about three weeks." Finally, he let out a chuckle as the kettle began to whistle. You released his hand and rose from your seat to make the tea as you continued to speak. "What does that have to do with you not being able to sleep?"

"I've just been thinking about that day a lot," he said, pulling a steaming mug close to him.

"What do you mean?" you asked, taking your seat next to him once again.

"Just like... what if you weren't so terrible at volleyball and we had never met?"

"I resent that," you told him, but you were smiling.

"I'm serious," he replied. "I can't even remember what life was like before we were friends."

You shifted your gaze to your mug, smiling to yourself. "Yeah, me either."

"I just... I don't know."

Looking back up at him, you found him now staring into his own mug. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I uh..." He sighed. "I really need to tell you something."

"Jesus, then spit it out already!"

He looked directly at you. "I think I like you, Y/N," he said nervously, softly.

Your jaw dropped. And then, before you knew what was happening, you were speaking. "No. No way. We are not doing this right now."

"Doing what?" he asked, completely bewildered.

You gestured between the two of you. "This! You are not telling me you like me hours before you're leaving to go halfway across the world for six months. You cannot do that to me."

"Y/N, I'm-"

"Sorry? You better be."

He rubbed the back of his neck with a hand. "Okay, look. I know the timing isn't great, but I didn't want to leave without telling you. Because then what? I'm stuck with this huge secret for six months, pretending to be happy for you when you gush about some cute boy who held a door for you."

"God, this sucks," you said, gulping down about half of your tea.

"What? Why?"

You stared at him, analyzing his expression. "Because I think I like you too," you replied quietly.

He grinned at you and took a sip from his own tea. "Y/N, I'm really not seeing what the problem is here."

"You idiot! You're leaving in five hours! For six months!"

"So come with me."

"You know I can't do that," you said, thinking of the mountain of schoolwork piled up on your desk.

He sighed in defeat. "Well... We can still talk every day. I don't... I don't want you seeing anybody else," he said, taking your hand in his.

You pulled your hand from his grasp. "I don't know, Ashton."

"What?" he asked sadly.

"I don't know if I can do this. Ask me again in six months."

He was back to staring into his mug. "So that's it? See you in six months?"

"Don't be so dramatic. We're still best friends. We'll still talk all the time. I just... If we both still feel this way about each other in six months, then we can give us a try. I promise."

Looking up at you hopefully, he said, "Okay, fine. On one condition."

You finished off your tea. "What's that?"

"I don't think I'll be able to force myself to get on a plane unless I know what it's like to kiss you first."

You smiled and leaned in. His lips were gentle and hesitant on yours, testing the waters. You leaned into him, deepening the kiss, and wrapped your arms around his shoulders. Feeling his hands in your hair, you grinned and broke off the kiss, knowing that you would leave him wanting more. You rested your forehead against his as he stared at you with pure admiration. And you had to admit, the butterflies that fluttered in your stomach made you feel like the next six months couldn't go fast enough.

"Fuck," he whispered, and you laughed.

"How about you go home and pack, and call me when you land?"

He nodded and pulled back, rising from his seat. As he gave you a long hug, you knew that this time, him being gone would feel different. Because everything was different now. You said your goodbyes, and he headed for the door. His hand on the handle, he turned to face you one last time. "Y/N..."

"Yeah, Ash?"

"I can't wait to kiss you again in six months," he said simply.