C H A P T E R - N I N E

Start from the beginning

"A chocolate milkshake." I cheer as I take it out of his hands. He made it himself. I almost gasp. "Thank you, papà." I say sincerely, reaching over to pull him into another hug. "For all of it. I love you so, so much."

"This is barely what you deserve, baby. I wish I could give you the world."

Doesn't he realize he already has?

It feels weird to finally have someone constantly remind me I'm loved. It feels good.

Papà pulls out a candle from a drawer and sets it in my pancake, lighting it.

"I thought candles were only supposed to go in cake?" I tease.

"Maybe. But we make our own rules here." A glint of something completely mischievous passes through his eyes.

Papà holds the plate up to me and my eyes close. I breathe in deeply.

A wish. What could I wish for?

I wish it always stays like this.

The flame goes out and my eyes open. My chest feels light, peaceful.

This is finally my happy ending.

• • •

After lunch, papà and I walk down to the basement. I don't really remember what's down here. It's dark and cold until papà flicks on the lights to brighten the floor. My eyes adjust and I find a gym enclosed with glass on the left and on the right is a black door and a concrete door all the way at the end of the hall.

Papà opens the black door with a key and we walk inside of the room. Inside it's dark, my ears almost ring from the suffocating silence. It feels so stuffy in here, when I look around, I know why. The room is soundproof.

Five sections are lined up in dividers, each catering a different target.

My eyebrows furrow.

"What.. is this room?" I ask with curiosity. My head snaps to the sound of papà unlocking a metal box.

It reveals all different kinds of weapons. Knives, bow and arrow, small guns, big guns. Everything.

"It's for practice. Pick something."

I raise a brow but papà's face is unreadable.

Nervously, I walk over and immediately pick up something that looks exciting. I twirl the knife between my fingers before I face papà. I watches me and suddenly I feel embarrassed. I let my hands fall to my sides.

Papà grabs a revolver.

Ushering me to a divider, he loads his gun.

"Let's see what you can do, sì?"

"You first, old man."

Papà raises a brow at my teasing and I pull a small smile back.

"Funny, Ellie. Very funny."

"Thank you." I smile and his eyes roll playfully.

Papà lets me test out a few weapons. He gives me pointers along the way. It's fun to compete with him. Every throw, every bullet, it feel like a weight lifted off my shoulders.