| chapter fifteen |

"Fuck those guys, you hear me?" Stu hasn't stopped ranting since we left the police station, and I couldn't fault him for what they went through

"Fuck those guys, you hear me?" Stu hasn't stopped ranting since we left the police station, and I couldn't fault him for what they went through. For once, my being a loudmouth had paid off. "That was bullshit. I'm telling everybody we stole a cop car".

"They let us go. Who cares?" Phil sighed as I leaned against his shoulder. He had only just stopped questioning me about leaving them alone to be with Detective Holt.

Like, I had a choice, but honestly, I'm kinda glad I didn't get tasered.

"I care! You can't just do that. You can't just tase people because you think it's funny. That's police brutality" I blinked up at Stu, who stopped ranting and sighed to himself, "I'm getting a soda. Do you guys want anything?".

We all shook our heads, and Stu walked off with a huff.

"My man doesn't shut up. Jesus Christ," Phil muttered, putting his hand on my thigh with a tired sigh, and I rubbed my forehead on the side of his head, feeling a little bad for him.

Glancing over my shoulder, I realized that Alan had been far too quiet since we left the station. "Alan, you okay?" I asked him, gently placing a hand on his shoulder.

He gave me a sad smile, and I knew that was the Alan that needed a little more care and softness than usual "I'm just worried. What if something happened to Doug? Something bad".

Phil and I glanced at each other before turning back to the saddened Alan. "Come on, you can't think like that," Phil said encouragingly as his own blue eyes held worry.

"I mean, what if he's dead? I can't afford to lose anybody close to me again. It hurts too much" I frowned, trying to think back to who they lost in the family. "I was so upset when my grandpa died."

And there it was.

I rolled my eyes with a small sigh, knowing my new husband would surely be suckered into the conversation.

Phil gave me a quick glance as his face dropped. "Oh, I'm s... How'd he die?".

"World War II" Alan had repeatedly told this story to anyone who would listen to him. I get that his grandpa died, and the story makes him feel closer, but it was 1945.

"Died in battle?" The tall man questioned as I resisted the urge to laugh when my earlier guess came true, Phil had been suckered into the conversation.

For someone a little on the dense side, Alan sure was good at it. "No, he was skiing in Vermont. It was just during World War II."

"Alan, you weren't even born..." I began before Phil pushed my head into his neck, cutting off the words that were starting to form. I let out a puff of air and smirked when the blue-eyed male shivered.

"-What Lexi means is Doug is fine" Biting Phil's neck in retaliation, I had a sudden memory or flashback of me doing the same thing last night but in different circumstances.