04. Stuck In The Middle

Start from the beginning

There was only one who looked suspicious to me. It was an older man who had little to no hair and looked maybe 70 or 80 years old. I couldn't tell. I've always been terrible at guessing ages.

I scan him closely before I watch him walk over to Allison, sticking his hand out to her. "Allison! I haven't seen you since you were a baby girl."

Allison pulls that fake laugh, trying to show that she thought it was funny but in reality had no clue what he was talking about or who he was. I laugh at her as the two shake hands, the man's hands being as wrinkly as a walrus. Allison gives me a look to shut up before I do so.

"You don't remember me, do you?" the man says as Allison widens her eyes.

She shakes her head, trying to show that she didn't want to make him feel bad. "No-No, I remember you-"

"It's Gerard," he says, smiling at her effort. I raise an eyebrow as Allison nods, still not knowing who he was. I zone out of their conversation as they talk about how long it's been; you know, just the usual awkward family talk.

I cross my arms as I turn around, scanning the woods for a possibilty to see Jade. My mind flicks back to the car wreck the night before, remembering her face and smile. It's only been a day and I'm already missing her like crazy. I just wanted to know where she was.

I widen my eyes when I see movement behind one of the grave stones, causing me to look and see Scott and Stiles sitting there. I raised an eyebrow before leaving Allison and walking over to the two boys, wondering why they were here.

"Scott, scoot over," Stiles says, elbowing Scott in the ribs. Scott hisses in pain before doing it back to Stiles.

"I can't. One gravestone is only so big," Scott snaps before he looks back over at Allison. I roll my eyes before Stiles looks over Scott's shoulder.

"Why are we here again?" Stiles asks, raising his eyebrows.

Scott is quiet for a moment. "We're here to keep an eye on Allison, remember?"

Stiles scoffs. "Sure we are. That's just about as true as me saying that Lydia Martin loves me."

Scott turns and looks at Stiles. "What are you saying?"

Stiles rolls his eyes, his hand slapping the gravestone. "I'm saying that we're only here because you like Allison. You practically love her, even though she doesn't see you in that kind of way, but that doesn't mean you aren't acting like your her boyfriend."

Scott scoffs before looking back at Allison. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Stiles widens his eyes. "Seriously Scott? You literally ran over to my house and rambled on and on about her on the first day of school. Something about you giving her a pen-"

"That was months ago," Scott says, trying to cover up the fact that he did like Allison. "I don't feel that way about her anymore."

I could easily tell that he was lying to himself. I mean, who wouldn't like Allison? "Then why are we here right now Scott?"

"To watch over her and make sure she doesn't get hurt-" Scott starts to say before Stiles cuts him off again.

"There are literally three dozen hunters here who I'm pretty sure could take care of her just fine. I'm also pretty sure she can take care of herself, since that seems to be her favorite catch phrase now," Stiles says, his eye twitching a little. "You like her Scott. Just admit it."

Scott growls before looking at his friend. "Fine, I do still like her."

"Hah-" Stiles starts to say before something comes up from behind the two of them. I look up to see the same sheriff from the bridge last night standing there, an annoyed look on his face. He grabs Scott by the shirt and Stiles by the ear as he drags the two away, disappearing into one of the police cars. Looks to me that they weren't supposed to be here.