It signifies the uniting of two wolves into one. Two souls merge to form one union.

Something that we crave deep into our wolves since we are not complete alone.

Dad climbed into the front seat with his box of blood. "Take us to the Windsor. The girls are going to pack and we're leaving."

"Yes, Beta."

The driver started the SUV and sped the few blocks to the hotel. "I'm going to walk them in."

"Dad, we can walk inside."

"I would prefer if you just let me walk with you."

"Okay, dad. You worry too much though."

"Do I? There are creatures attacking people traveling through the drain pipes and I'm letting you two galavant all over Goddess creation right after turning 18. I don't think I protect you enough."

"Perhaps. Let's go. Like you said, maybe Deer Creek is safer."

We walked through the lobby, everybody huddled in small groups, whispering. Word about the creature got out.

"I wonder if the other packs know about these things," Ashley said.

"I imagine they do. People talk a lot."

I wanted nothing more than to shower and just go to bed. I knew that wouldn't be possible. I knew dad wanted us on the road as soon as wolfly possible.

"Do you guys have a lot of stuff?"

"No. I didn't even get a chance to unpack."

"Good. Grab them and let's get to the car. I'll handle checkout."

We followed close behind dad, heading for the parking garage.

"I'll take care of this then I'm going back to Moon Mist. Do not stop driving until you reach Deer Creek. Go straight to the hotel until morning."

"Okay, dad."

"I mean it, Ellie. Do not go out at night and never alone."

"I promise I won't."

"In the morning go right to the Alpha's office and find out if they've encountered anything. Then call me."

I nodded and kissed his cheek. "I know what to do, old wolf."

"Please, be careful, my young pup."

"I'll keep her safe, Beta." Ashley smiled.

"You be safe too."

"Tell my mom and dad I love them please."

"I definitely will," dad answered. "When you get into town head straight down the main street. When you come to a fork in the road turn right. You'll run right into the hotel at the river's bend.

"I guess that is why it's called River Bend?"

Dad laughed. "Yeah. They're not very creative with names."

We walked quietly to the car and sped out of town. The beauty of Silver Peak was quickly behind us, giving way to the wooded country once again. The only densely populated areas were the towns. A few wolves would live beyond town limits, but always within their territory.

It wasn't often that wolves traveled beyond their pack lines, at least not those who weren't high-ranking going on pack business.

I guess now we were technically on pack business.

"Do you know how big Deer Creek is?" Ashley questioned.

"No. I don't think it's that big though. I've read it's about the same size as Moon Mist."

"That's too bad then. I could go for some normalcy."

"Silver Peak too much for you?" I joked.

"Maybe a little. I guess I should get used to it though, huh?"

"Yeah, I don't think you have much of a choice at this point. I doubt Alastair will give up being Beta to move to Moon Mist."

She laughed lightly. "I wouldn't want him to. He's too good at it."

"He is very serious. Which I guess it makes sense and is good he's mated to you."

"Why?"

"You're not serious. You two balance each other out very well."

"I suppose I'm not. Should I change that?"

"What? No! Never change who you are. You are perfect just the way you are."

"Awe. I love you."

"And I love you." I smiled at her.

"Uh, is that it?" she asked motioning to an inconspicuous town in front of us.

"I think so."

"It's definitely something."

"I wouldn't say it's another Moon Mist that's for sure."

"No way. It's very..."

"Country?"

"Yeah."

We drove up to the city, slowly. There were no bright lights and shops like Silver Peak. They didn't even have their town hall brightly lit like we did in Moon Mist.

Everything was very dark.

"Where is this hotel?"

"Dad said down the street, right at the fork, you can't miss it at the river bend."

"Hopefully it's something more than what we're seeing so far."

"Do you think the darkness is because of those creatures?" I asked.

"I don't know. Maybe. I guess? I don't even see anyone out on the streets."

"Everything's closed."

"It's still kind of early isn't it?" she asked, glancing at the clock on her dashboard.

"I mean, it's 8:30. So not super late. Maybe they go to bed early?"

She turned right at the fork and continued to the river bend. The hotel wasn't as big as the Windsor, but it wasn't small. There were no lights on out front and the bellhop was nowhere to be seen.

"Weird."

"Let's just grab our bags and get inside. I'm completely weirded out."

"Agreed," Ashely said.

She put the car in park and jumped out of the car, sprinting up the stairs inside. I followed close behind.

"Hello?" I called out, looking around the quaint and very large lobby.

"Is anyone here?" Ashley asked, walking toward a large reception desk.

"We're closed," a voice echoed from somewhere.

"Um, Beta Alastair from Silver Peak should have called ahead for us," Ashley responded.

"Silver Peak? No. No calls."

"Do I need to call him? I am his mate, we are here on official pack business from Moon Mist."

"Beta Alastair has no mate. Leave," the voice said angrily.

"I'm his new mate. We are here on official business. Show yourself immediately before I call him."

A short, pudgy, balding man appeared from a room behind the desk looking very angry. "You are only a little girl. Go away. Don't you know what's out there?"

"Yes, which is why we're here. Now, give us the keys to our rooms that Beta Alastair said would be ready."

He furrowed his brow and pounded his pudgy sausage fingers on a keyboard before handing us a key. "Room 202. Second floor."

He turned on his fat little heels and scurried back to the room, slamming the door behind him.

"Well, the manners are lacking in this place."