Chapter 7

TW: Blood, fighting, children in extreme fear, death 

|| Techno POV ||

I sighed, sinking into the couch. As much as I needed to be, I couldn't stand to stay mad at Tommy. There were far more pressing things, and it was far too late for me to care anyway.

Things like Schlatt.

I'd come face to face with the villain earlier, his laugh and notorious booming voice claiming that he was pulling all the strings. Claiming he had the upper hand, even though we both knew that wasn't true. Quackity laughed, but the look in his eyes told a different story, one laced in worry and fear.

I rolled my eyes, dueling both of them before heading out to meet Phil. As much as I hated it, I might have to concede and let him take care of Tommy.

After I came home, Will had given me a list of places with "suspicious activity" he'd received from HQ. Just as I suspected, I saw signature red and black masks hiding in the shadows. Schlatt was up to something, but I couldn't tell what.

And seeing that Dream owed him a favor... things weren't looking great.

I looked up at the stairs, silently wishing he'd come down and let me apologize. I knew he wouldn't. He didn't like to concede no matter what. Taking care of him was exhausting, but I couldn't let that stop me.

Still, his words rang in my ears as my stomach clenched with guilt.

It was late, so most of the chat had gone to sleep, and I could think clearly.

E, a voice whispered. I shushed chat, ignoring them to the best of my ability.

I had more important thoughts to organize.

Thoughts like how to keep Tommy out of it.

I could leave him with Karl, or Niki, or even Phil, but I knew deep down in my stomach that I couldn't trust a single person around me.

Ranboo had asked for a day off, so I decided to take one too. Phil promised to cover for me, and honestly, I trusted Phil more than anyone else in the world to take my place.

I thought about what I had seen earlier. Wilbur hadn't told me to, but I walked past Jack's house while doing my rounds. Two of Schlatt's boys were clearing out, and Niki was inside talking with him. It would've likely been in my best interest to stay and listen, but I got distracted by having to get home and talk to Tommy.

God knows why Niki and Jack were working with Schlatt. It seemed like mixing oil and water, but an enemy of an enemy is a friend, I guess.

I didn't know why Tommy was obsessed with being difficult. It didn't help that working with Phil and Ranboo was exhausting, and then my insomnia kept me up for most of the night. I honestly didn't care whether or not my youngest brother went to school, but it kept constant of where he was. Also, the more of an education the boy got, the better. Education, yeah, that's important.

I slowly walked up to Tommy's room to apologize, but his door was locked shut. I knocked once. Silence. Another knock. "Tommy?" More silence.

I pulled a pin out of my hair and popped the lock open. The room was empty. "Tommy?"

A breeze blowing through the open window caught my attention. I groaned, shutting the window and locking it tight. If he wanted to come home tonight, he'd have to talk to me first.

God, I thought. It was going to be next to impossible to keep this boy alive.

I dropped my head into my hands. Dad wouldn't fail to make his youngest son listen to him, never mind keep him alive. Dad would know what to do here.