Night Of A Thousand Stars Pt 1

Start from the beginning

Bolin waved and left the room and Varrick sighed again as the door shut. 

"I swear, Zhu Li if that kid doesn't realise soon what's right in front of him, I am going to lose it" 

"I completely agree, sir" Zhu Li replied in her usual professional tone. 

*

Later that night, in prison, Mako was sitting on his bed, inside his cell, when the door suddenly opened to reveal Song standing there. 

"You've got a visitor." 

He moved to the side and Bolin walked in. 

"Hey, Mako" 

"Hey. What's with the fancy duds?" Mako asked as his brother walked over 

"I'm on my way to the big finale for "Nuktuk: Hero of the South." Bolin flexed his muscles "Yeah, everyone's gonna be there except for, you know, you ... because you're in jail and stuff." 

"Thanks for the reminder" Mako scowled in annoyance. 

"Hey, I brought you something" Bolin reached into his jacket and brought out a poster of Nuktuk and Ginger, " I thought this would brighten up your new place. Read the inscription." 

Mako took the poster and read the writing at the bottom " "Dear Mako, Nuktuk says, 'Keep smiling.'"

He looked up at his brother grinning at him " Did you come by just to give me a poster?" 

"No, I came by to give you my sincere, heartfelt words of encouragement. I know our lives have been moving in two different directions, but I want you to know that I will always be there for you" Bolin smiled "We are brothers, after all, even if one of us is a member of high society and the other one is a criminal." 

" I am not a criminal!" Mako snapped 

"Of course, I know that, but you do kinda look like one, cause you're in a jail and that's where criminals live," Bolin replied 

" I was set up! Varrick knew I had figured out he was hiring gangsters to pose as Northern soldiers to get Republic City to join the war. That's why he had me arrested." Mako explained 

"Ah, I see what you're doing. You're going for the insanity defence. Smart." 

"No! I'm trying to tell you that Varrick isn't what he seems" Mako stood up, getting irritated" Where're Asami and El? They'll listen to me" 

"I asked them to come, but Asami said it was too hard for her. You being in jail like this reminds her of her dad. As for El, for some reason she's barely talked to me all day" Bolin explained 

"Gee, I wonder why?" Mako replied sarcastically, knowing how his brother's new attitude was affecting the airbender. He just hoped nothing too bad had happened between them. 

"Okay, gotta run and pick up the girls. But I'll be back tomorrow. And I am gonna get you the best attorney fame and fortune can buy" Bolin declared 

"Bolin, wait." Mako stopped him as he went to walk away "If my theory about Varrick is right, something might go down tonight at your premiere. Promise me you'll keep your eyes peeled"

"Yeah, okay, big brother. I promise" Bolin knocked on the cell door, walking out once it opened " Whew! That insanity defence is definitely gonna work"

*

Later on Air Temple Island, Elira was sitting in the dining hall with Pichi by her side, reading the newspaper. She glared at the picture of Bolin and Ginger kissing when she overheard Bolin walking in and talking with Asami.