chapter 1

Alex sat up on the bed, staring straight at the TV in a daze. He had just woken up from a 13-month coma, and all he wanted to do was go home, but the doctors informed him that he would be discharged the next day. Alex was one of the many who contracted the X virus. This new disease first appeared the previous year. It had just appeared with no warning whatsoever. Doctors could neither diagnose it nor identify its source. It just seemed to appear in the body. The symptoms were just as strange; they varied depending on the person. The symptoms could range from intense headaches to vomiting. Victims would also feel muscle cramps and loss of senses, but the final result was always the same: eventually, patients would fall into a long coma. What made the disease even more mysterious was that the disease seemed to target a certain age group; the main victims were usually between the ages of 2 to 20, with the exception of a few cases. The disease seemed to have no cure or way of prevention, and to this point, no solution had arisen. But 3 months before Alex's awakening, patients began to wake up from these comas, at least some of them did; some patients remained in comas. Alex was one of the patients who woke up much later. He had no idea what had happened to him, but he was glad to be going home soon, or at least that's what he thought. The next day, Alex woke up to loud screams and shouts. Alex looked to the door where he saw nurses and able-bodied patients running. The intense chaos gave an immediate feeling of dread, and he rushed out of the room.