CHAPTER ONE, the one with the last day of summer

Beginne am Anfang

"I would call it amazing since no one has tried to kill us in six months." Nova shrugged and Stiles nodded in agreement.

"Right." Scott nods. "We've been pretty much in the middle for a while. Which means, at some point, the scale has to tip one way or the other. Things are gonna get really good again..."

"Or really bad." Stiles finished his sentence.

They each look at the sky when thunder rumbles again and they see lightening strike. A comfortable silence fell between the three before Stiles breaks it by saying, "Think it's been long enough?"

"Yes!" 

The three of them look over to where they chained Liam up to a nearby large tree. "Hey, we're trying to have an adult conversation over here!" Stiles told him. 

Shaking his head, Liam rolls his eyes. "Nova is my age, you two are two years older than us, and I'm fine. Just let me go."

Scott got off of the jeep and Nova follows her brother and Scott over to Liam. "It's not that we don't trust you." Scott said.

Stiles raises his hand. "It's not that I don't trust you."

"But after that last full moon..." Scott spoke, beginning to unlock the chains keeping Liam to the tree. 

Liam sheepishly smiles. "It was one slip up."

Stiles raises his eyebrows at him. "One slip up? A dozen calls to the Sherriff Department about a 'monstrous dog-boy running around the streets of Beacon Hills naked'. That's a slip up?"

Nova tilts her head to the side, raising her eyebrows at Liam. "Do I even want to know why you were naked?"

"It was really hot out that night, okay?" Liam defends himself, his face turning pink out of embarassment. "Let me go."

Scott looks at him with concern. "You sure you're okay?"

Liam nods. "It won't happen again."

"You're in complete and total control?" Scott asked him.

"Yeah." Liam replies. Nova furrows her eyebrows when she heard his heartbeat skip a beat. Did Scott not notice that Liam was lying? "Complete and total control."

Scott takes the chains off of Liam, dropping them into the duffle bag that Stiles picks up. When they walk back to the jeep, Liam unfolds his fists, looking at his bloody palms. Nova looks at him with concern. "Okay, why did you lie?"

"I didn't lie." Liam looks at her as he replies. He sighs and then frowns."I really am trying to have total control though. It's just harder than I thought it would be."

Nova sends him a sympathetic smile, patting his shoulder comfortingly. "Don't worry. You'll get better."

The four teens get back in the jeep and Stiles began driving down the road. Liam and Nova were in the back, Scott was in the passenger seat, and Stiles was behind the wheel. "Is it a party?" Liam asked in a nervous tone.

Stiles shakes his head. "It's not a party."

Liam furrows his eyebrows. "Then what's at midnight?"

Stiles glances back at him with annoyance. "Your bedtime."

From her place beside Liam, Nova snickered at Stiles' reply. Liam rolls his eyes. "Then why isn't Nova and the other girls going?" 

"Nova's not going 'cause it's a senior thing and they're meeting us there, okay?" Stiles responds. "Just stop asking questions, alright? Like I said, it's a senior thing." He glances back at Liam and Nova. "You two will know when you're a senior."