Chapter 20: The Impeachment of President Fox

The very next morning after he arrived in Wolf's territory, Bob went through the same numbers with Stefolous. The tortoise was a lot quicker at reading the meaning behind the statements, so Bob did not have to spend too much time explaining. They also compared the account books to the government sales as reported by Owl.

Accounts by Firms in Year 3, Numbers in '000 Seeds

Firms          Bandy     Pledge     Hoper     Dancer     Prickly     Gangly

Fees           100,000     78,000   124,000       99,000    118,000     85,000

Profit           10,000     10,000     10,000       10,000       10,000     10,000

Year End Government Enterprise Income Report in Year 3, Numbers in '000 Seeds

Bamboo Flower Sales        755,000

Total Sum of Fees Paid      604,000

Profit after Fees                    151,000

% of Profit to Sales                    20%

There was no mistaking it. 80% of the value of the bamboo flowers had been stripped away by fees before the final sales. It was no wonder Owl claimed that the government could easily pay the Hillside Goats 700 million a year if they send the bamboo flowers to them directly. In fact, 700 million was a very conservative assessment considering that the goats also offered discount for large bulk transportation. With the help of three dung beetles, Stefolous prepared the next issue of The Tortoise Express.

When the editorial commentary came out a week later, the jungle fell into a state of shock then chaos. Depending on who you asked, Fox was either stupid for having fallen for such a scam or devious for having come up with it. Even Featherline Digest, which had always admired Fox's strawberry red fur, began to accuse him of using root dye to brighten his mousy brown coat. The frogs made a racket every night about it, which was quite a serious matter for they were of a kind that only made a racket for rain.

Worse of all, the members of the Investigation Committee were condemned for Owl's death. When the verbal attacks against the five reached a point where they were being threatened with physical violence, Wolf stepped out into the public eye to defend them. He gave interviews where he assured the public that the committee members were all as much in the dark as the rest of the jungle. The tune of protests and riots changed into one that called for the resignation of Fox, and Fox alone.

The president went berserk when the sound of howling and tweeting animals reached him even within the shelter of his den. He ordered for Rat to come to him. The moment the other stepped into his presence, Fox snarled, "How could this have happened? What went wrong?"

Rat made sure not to meet his eye. He kept his head bowed and his posture submissive. Fox was still a predator after all, and there was no knowing what he would do in a state of rage. "It is an accumulation of bad luck, Mr. President. There is no one single thing to blame."

Fox started pacing the den angrily. "The tortoise should have been killed."

Rat stole a quick look at him, to read his fluctuating mood. Then he said, "I disagree, Sir. His death would have worsened public opinion against you."

Fox stopped and brought his face close to Rat. With saliva dripping down his maw, he snarled, "I don't care! Find him! Destroy him!"

Rat lowered himself further, until he looked like he was bent over his stomach. He kept the back of his neck as far away as possible from Fox. Then his voice whimpering, he said, "That is not possible now, Mr. President. He is under Wolf's protection."