Chapter 8 | Flashback

Rewritten

Published 12/26/22

Yes. Another chapter. 

"Freak!"

"Stinky!"

"You don't belong here!"

"Monster!"

"Go curl into a ball and die!"

A six year old girl curled up in a ball, her hands covering her head. I closed my dual colored eyes, tears steaming down my face. My long pink tinted white hair with dark blue tips covered my body.

"Are you okay?"

I didn't move, too afraid the kind voice was a sick joke played by the civilians. Or even worse, a hallucination, which would make me believe I had a friend, a family, just to look up and see blood. Was I finally going crazy?

"I'm going to kill those boys. I don't hate easily, but first Naruto, and now you." The gentle voice was deeper and angry. I felt strong arms lift me up.

"Let's get you patched up. I'll take you to my house."

I didn't look up. Could hallucinations pick you up? We arrived at a. Simple house. The inside was neat, and decor was minimal. The person sat me on a couch and took out a piece of bandage. He started wrapping my wounds, applying ointment on my bruises. I dared to look up. In front of me was a man with silver, gravity defying hair. A mask covered the bottom half of his face, while his forehead and one eye was covered by a Konohagakure shinobi headband. He had a dog mask hanging from a belt on him waist. One of the ANBU? His only showing eye crinkled into a crescent shape, and I could tell he was smiling.

"Akira... could you tell me who hurt you like this?" The man asked, pointing to a scar that went across my neck.

"H-how do you know my name?" I asked.

"Well, what type of uncle would I be if I didn't know my own niece's name?" He asked.

"A bad one...?" I answered, unsure. The male just laughed and ruffled my hair.

"I'm your uncle, Akira-chan. You don't have to be alone anymore. I'm here!" He declared.

—x—

A few months Later

Itachi and Shisui watched from a distance little girl, no older than six go through Katas flawlessly on the cliff overlooking the Naka River, the pair's usual meeting spot. A kunai zipped by, missing Shisui by inches. No words came out from the little girl, but she stared at their spot. The two came out of their hiding spot, surprised should sense them, even if they were barely suppressing their chakra.

They easily became friends. Akira had her first friends.

—x—

Akira walked home, an empty look in her eyes. She had turned seven not too long ago, and her birthday was filled with fun, yet she could sense something off with Shisui and Itachi. Today, she had gone to their usual meeting place, only to see Shisui, both eyes bleeding and closed shut, his hand extended to Itachi, as if giving him something. Shisui sensed the little girl, and frowned. Akira ran over to him, firing questions at him to avoid accepting the truth that Shisui was missing both his eyes and he was going to die.

Shisui poked her forehead, a gesture that both Itachi and him seemed to enjoy doing to her, before walked to the edge and jumped. Akira still leaped forward, her arm stretched to try and catch him because this had to be a dream. Shisui wasn't weak so what happened?

She had stayed that for a full hour, just sitting there, watching the waves of the Naka River crash against the shore. She turned and headed home.

Shisui was dead.

—x—

Akira came home from her mission, tears still streaming down her cheeks. Her teammates had died. Akira always tried to convince herself they weren't close, using age or some other excuse to build an imaginary wall, but she hadn't realized how much she cared for the, until now. Kakashi was out on a mission and wouldn't be back for a week, so she naturally headed to the Uchiha compound. When Kakashi wasn't there, there was always Itachi. Right? So why? Why was everyone dead? She raced through Itachi house, desperately calling out the names of the family. Only to be met with the dead bodies of Uchiha Mikoto and Uchiha Fugaku, who'd been so kind as to host her whenever she needed it and guide her when Itachi and Kakashi weren't around. Trembling, she ran out of the Uchiha district to the only place she knew. The Naka River. There, Itachi stood, his ANBU gear still bathed in blood, his sword's drips tainting the grass that had grown in the time they weren't there to make craters. The sight only confirmed her theory on what happened. "Why?" She wanted to ask. "Why would you kill them?" But she didn't instead, she stood there, watching the thirteen year old silently. Slowly, she approached him. Then she hugged him from behind, her tiny arms wrapped around his torso. She felt something wet drip on her hands. It wasn't blood. It was a substance she knew all too well. They were tears.

Akira never believed that Itachi killed them to 'test his power'.

She still cried.

they still died.