Fresh Maidens

"He actually went down on one knee?" Nicola laughed, not quite believing that her history teacher had finally got his act together and managed something so romantic. My dear sister was sitting in the drawing room, having spent her morning with Grandmama and Mama, whilst I walked out with Steven Blackstone, with Miss Knight following us around the park. "In front of people? How dreamy?"

"Not many people...it is freezing outside...but it is traditional to kneel to propose and he is a traditionalist?" I said as I settled beside her, still trying to come to terms with the fact that I was finally engaged, and that it was all official. "He got a wet knee for his pains, because the path was soaked...but we were then allowed to go to the café and sit inside, with Miss Knight as chaperone...I had hot chocolate and a huge slice of cake to celebrate!"

"Grandmama said that I might be allowed a walk in the park...as a maiden, I mean...she said that you might take me this afternoon...with Nanny and the girls?" Nicola said, trying not to sound too excited, because it was a big thing for her. She was just weeks away from finishing her exams, and letting her out of the house as a maiden was the obvious next step, but the news meant that Catriona was pleased with her, more importantly. I smiled, just so happy for her, as I arranged the copious skirts of my gown around me. I was getting so much better at managing my gowns. In fact, I was getting much better at everything because Miss Knight was teaching me.

"Oh, well done, Nic...that will be brilliant?" I said, meaning it. The two of us had come such a long way in what was fast approaching two years, since Sheila Blackstone handed the ring leader of the great escape over to me at Charlesfield. She had literally changed my life, although I was very aware that I was only there because of my father. He had manipulated me, but I was not worried about that, because his machinations had led me to the Montague family. I would always be grateful to him for that, even if I suspected his motives. "You will be the best maiden ever, you know?"

"Obvs...much better than you!"

"Well, in my defence, you've been better prepared..."

"Do you think we will be able to room share until you walk up the aisle?"

"Oh, that is a good idea...I'll ask Miss Knight, she usually says yes!"

"Good...so, how do you feel?" She asked, sitting so demurely. She was such a pretty girl, so poised and perfect, with her back ramrod straight and her hands resting in her lap. Mama had put her hair in ringlets, and she looked wonderful, a proper young lady.

"Sort of relieved...it was all getting a bit business-like with all the talk of contracts and silly conditions...I am just glad that is all over and I know for sure that I will be staying here. That was all that really mattered to me." I admitted, although she already knew that.

"For at least five years...I'll be married by then...and we'll probably both have babies!"

"Oh, don't rush me! But I like Steven Blackstone and I think we will make a good team...and I will definitely be able to work at the new school!"

"Have you discussed that with Grandmama?" Nicola asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No...but I will be allowed to help...even if I am not paid...it really does sound like it might happen...Steven was actually quite enthusiastic about getting involved today...because things seem to be very difficult for him at Deepdene..."

Plans for the new school were a popular topic of conversation around our dinner table, when we did not have guests, because Catriona wanted to know all the details. And then we spent a fair amount of time discussing things amongst ourselves, in the afternoons, because we had lots of ideas about how the school should work. Not from an educational point of view, because that required specialist knowledge, but the Montague ladies were all interested in pastoral care and Catriona made sure that our voices were heard. Malcolm Montague was a banker, so he had no particular experience in the field, but he had spent his entire career running big projects in a corporate environment, and as he was technically retired, he had time to run our project when he was not attending board meetings at the bank. And he had engaged some consultants to work on the details for him. Thus far, we had identified some land, at the other end of the village from Deepdene, and had an architect preparing a design for new buildings. Malcolm thought that if building work started by Easter, we would be able to open in the September with one or two year groups at first. And Steven expected to be unemployed at Easter, so he would be able to work on the academic plans, and attract some pupils, full time.