TWO

"KRISTEN WAIT!" ROOSTER YELLED TO THE GIRL, noticing her about to make an exit

"KRISTEN WAIT!" ROOSTER YELLED TO THE GIRL, noticing her about to make an exit. He ran after her, noticing her headphones squished between her ears. He didn't mean to startle her, but grabbing her arm made her gasp, "Dude!"

"Dude," He awkwardly laughed, shaking his head to gain thought, "Kit, the guys just told me about Ice-"

"Don't even go there Bradley," Kristen charged back at the door handle, though Bradley ran to stand in front of it, "I really don't want to talk about it. It's fine."

"I'm not hearing that it's fine," Bradley scratched the back of his neck as Kristen sighed, "I really just don't want to talk about him, okay? I don't even know how I've managed to stay out of the house for-"

"Does he know you're here?" Bradley cut her off remembering her infamous impulsivity as Kristen crossed her arms, "Just because I'm in a fragile state does not mean you're able to speak over me Bradshaw. Cool it."

"Consider it cooled Frosty."

Kristen thought about facepalming herself but instead cleared her throat, "Dad encouraged me to get out of the house. He said... he let me know I was wasting my potential."

Bradley replied, "I guess it'll be good for you Kit, he wouldn't want you cooped up at home doting on him-"

"Waiting for him to die," She gulped. Kristen managed to push the rear door open, "And before Hangman hears a bar of this, Iceman told them he'd prefer I wasn't sent in for this mission regardless of the fact he wanted me to keep living my life. So, I hope that tells you how much of a shitshow this is going to be."

"Nah, you just wanted me to know you're the best and how much Top Gun really needs you," Bradley rolled her eyes, "Which I'll have to contest when we get out there tomorrow."

"Kazansky's are never second best Rooster," Kristen winked at the boy. Bradley softened his expression, "Ice and I know that. I'm glad to hear you do too."

"Oh, I'm going to throw up," Kristen rolled her eyes, "Ease up with the chivalry Bradshaw. I'm not forgetting the fact that we haven't seen eye to eye in a long time."

"Past is the past," Bradley affirmed, "And I'm here for you Kit."

"You can't say that to me if you wouldn't say it to Pete Mitchell," She remarked, swinging the door open. She trailed out of the bar, turning around for one final look at Bradley, "Rest up baby duck, you're gonna be my bitch tomorrow."

——

KRISTEN ARRIVED AT TOP GUN FIRST, being met with the Airbosses Beau "Cyclone" Simpson and Solomon "Warlock" Bates.

Bradley strolled in a minute or two after the girl, clearly taking a moment to decide wether he'd sit next to the girl or not. But being that Kristen had taken a front row seat, he thought it would be best to coast in the middle as his fellow graduates piled in.

"You're all Top Gun graduates, the elite. The best of the best," Bates announced to the seated students, "But that was yesterday. The enemies have levelled the playing field and we no longer posses the technical advancements that previously put us ahead."

He continued to brief the graduates, all eyes were on him until in came Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. Her classmate's jaws dropped, except Kristen sat calmly and examined Pete's expression; he seemed nervous, but not in the way of his knowledge. She was sure he was nervous about dealing with Rooster.

She noticed Bradley tense in his seat too, despite keeping his eyes planted forward and away from contact with Maverick.

"Is he gonna be our teacher?" Hangman finally blurted out, catching a confident smile from Maverick who finally opened his mouth, "Bet you didn't think that was gonna happen when you threw me outta the bar yesterday."

"Oh fuck," Phoenix murmured as Fanboy did too. Hangman pointed directly at Kristen, "It was Frosty's orders."

"It's good to hear you're learning how to obey your future team leader, Hangman," She sent a sly wink to him before looking back up at Maverick, "So tell us, old man. What the hell are we doing here-"

"Lieutenant Kazanksy," Beau cleared his throat, "That's not how you are to speak with Captain Mitchell. Not quite sure what's gotten into you here."

"I took old man as a sign of respecting her superiors. No harm, no foul," Maverick bit into the banter, making Beau roll his eyes, "But Lieutenant Kazansky, if you must know. I'll be training you all for the next three weeks. From this, I'll select two leads, their wingman and WSO's. The rest of you will become reserves."

Maverick picked up the training manual prescribed to him and his trainees, throwing it into the bin as a statement, "What you need to learn for this mission and attacking the enemy, can't be found in here. Now, what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intend to find them, test them and push beyond. Today we start with what you only think you know."

"— You need to show me what you're made of."

"Still sounds like a dog walk," Kristen yawned as Maverick leaned over his podium, "If you're thinking this is gonna be easy, think again."

"I beg to differ Captain Mitchell," Kristen was the first to stand, asserting herself above the rest of her class, "The second my foot hits the Tarmac, I'm in control."

— cloudydior
i just saw a tiktok of a tumblr fic where the "y/n's" call name is frosty and the daughter of iceman i really thought i was being original here 😭

also literally going to be updating like everyday i've already written up to chapter 8 AHHHH