ELEVEN

KRISTEN ENDED UP CURLED INTO BRADLEY'S CHEST ON THE BEACH, the sun setting while their peers were having a ball of their own in the Hard Deck

He felt sick to his stomach, holding Iceman's words to his heart as he played with her hair. He just wanted to open his mouth and tell her, just tell her Ice didn't have as long as he'd said. Bradley stewed, how the hell do I just bring that up?

He didn't want to ruin the moment either. For once, he was happy to ignore the sand seeping through his clothes if it just meant she'd stay in his arms.

"I'm beginning to think you've fallen asleep," Kristen whispered with her eyes still facing the beach, running her hand across his chest in case he had. Bradley smiled, "I might've, this kinda looks like a dream I've had."

She pulled herself up from Bradley's chest, though he was showing some restraint, to face him, "You're so corny."

"What can I say? My parents were the kings of corny," He winked. She moved to kiss his forehead, "I've heard they were, indeed."

"—Take me to bed or lose me forever," She hummed, Bradley's flirtatious smile turning more sincere as he replied softly, "Show me the way home, honey!"

Kristen giggled, her arms wrapped around his shoulders as she pulled him closer for a hug, "I'm grateful for you, you know that right?"

"I know Kit," He held her close, one of his hands holding the back of her head, "I'm grateful for you."

She moved to nuzzle her head into his shoulders, "And you know that I can't love you like last time and you leave me again."

Bradley lifted his head up, startled, "Kit-"

She cut him off amongst her nerves, "I'm a strong girl Bradley, I lost you once and I pulled through. I don't want to do it again, so don't make me a promise you can't keep."

"I'm gonna be here," Bradley's nodded harshly as he repeated, "I'm gonna be here for you for all of this."

His eyes dropped, closed shut as he sighed, "I gotta tell you something Kristen."

"Oh fuck," She mumbled, "Go on, rip off the band-aid."

"No, no," He cupped her face, "This. This is what I want, I know you hate the promise word but I promise you; there hasn't been a day I stopped thinking about you, how I left things with you. I got the chance to find you again in this mission, I won't screw it up with lies."

"Lies?"

"Kit, when we went to your house the other night... Fuck. I just... Your mom-"

Kristen pouted, "My mom told me she grilled you. I'm sorry but not sorry about it, it's cool B. I swear, she's fine with you. Just protective."

"No, Kit. She told me about your dad," Bradley dropped his head into his hands as his mind wandered; I can't do it. I can't break her heart... Jeezus, grow some balls Bradley... She has to know.