16. Masked boy

You gasped and looked up to see a boy wearing a fox mask, sitting on Tanjiro's boulder.

He turned his head to look at you and he then looked back at Tanjiro, "A man shouldn't whine. It's unseemly"

You tilted your head and frowned, 'When did he..?' A imaginary lightbull appeared on top of your head, 'That's him ! That feeling I got of being watched ! It was him !'

"No matter how you suffer, bear it in silence..take exemple on this girl right here." He pointed at you,
"M-Me ?" He could see question marks forming around your head right now..

"If you're a man...if you call yourself a man." 'He jumped up ! I don't have my sword with me ! I'm dead meat !' You took a few step back and stopped.

'No ! I have to protect Tanjiro too !'

The boy jumped down at swung at Tanjiro.

Tanjiro blocked the attack but the boy kicked him in the face,

"Slow.., weak.., immature.., that's not what you call a man."

You took this opportunity to go take your sword and you ran in front of Tanjiro, getting ready to fight.

The boy tensed up a bit, 'She's protecting him..?' "What are you doing ?"

You looked back at Tanjiro and dropped your fighting stance, relaxing your body, "Tanjiro.." You whispered.

"I'd like to know what you think you're doing." You stepped on the side and stood next to Tanjiro, staring at the boy silently.

"What do you mean ? I'm training !"

"How long do you plan to keep your butt on the ground without even taking a stance ?"

You glared at the boy, not sure if you should let him and Tanjiro fight or not. It felt weird seeing him only fighting your friend, was something different with you ?

You looked at Tanjiro, making sure he was okay with it, he only smiled weakly at you before taking a fighting stance.

'I'll - be - okay' He mouthed to you and you nodded, walking to the side to watch their fight.

The other boy was growning impatient, "come on, come at me."