48 | grammys pt. i

Planning to sleep on the red carpet?" Brendon jokes, taking in my pajamas.

I force myself to tear my eyes away from his suit. "Last minute alterations. Should be ready in twenty minutes."

Brendon glances at his watch. "Cutting it a little close, are we? What if Maverick is ready before you?"

"We told him to be ready an hour before we needed him to."

"Did it work?"

"Yet to be seen. But we have Everleigh on our side so it's about as likely as we'll ever get from him. Assuming he doesn't rip her dress off her."

"If it's not him, it's you."

I laugh and pinch his cheek. Even now, if I smile at him long enough, I'm graced with the faintest hint of a blush. It's enough that I want to spend my entire life smiling at him just to see it. "We love a supportive boyfriend."

"I won't be the one to get between a Stevie and Everleigh romance. The fans will come for me."

"Everleigh might do the job by herself."

"Too bad I won the last Capri Sun challenge."

"She's winning the next one, though."

Brendon swings his arm around my shoulder and pushes me into the room. "I'm counting on it."

Before we walk to where the rest of the crew can see us, I tug him into the front bathroom so we're somewhere private, but I keep the door open so I don't get too ahead of myself here. Brendon is at the mercy of the kisses I pepper all around his face before landing on his lips, curved into an amused smile.

"I'm trying not to mess up your makeup or hair," he mumbles against my lips. His hands curve around my waist and grip me like he's as tempted to throw all fucks out the window. I take advantage of his surrender and pull him closer to me. Even if it leaves us in wreckage, I'll take him crashing into me any day. "Stevie."

"Brendon," I reply. My fingers trail down to his chest.

With considerable strength, he forces us apart and all of the air rushes back to me, instantly cooling me off, even though I have no desire to douse these flames. Incinerate me for all I care. I'll double Monroe's pay for touch-ups.

I whimper at the loss of his touch, but Brendon stays strong and clenches his hands around my wrists to hold them back. "I know what you're going to say but consider this—"

"Stevie."

"—I'm horny. We can be quiet."

"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're not quiet."

"But you like that."

He shakes his head with a laugh. "Not when they're right outside."

"I don't know, that time in the car when we were in the garage and they were right in the living room was—"

Brendon silences me with a kiss. A crumb when the entire meal is standing in front of me, just far enough out of reach that I can't indulge.

God, I need help.

After a couple more minutes, Brendon successfully drags me into the room with the rest of the crew who are in various stages of getting ready. Rami and Jun are completely done, Lauren is not far behind them, and Seira is still sitting in a chair in front of her makeup artist. She'll likely be the last one, even with my detour to Maverick and Everleigh's room.