"God, that smells good. Is there—"

        "Poi and lomi salmon is in the fridge. Help yourself."

       Jun hears this and it's a rush to the finish line so we can snag prime pickings of the Hawaiian specialties. My hand wraps around the refrigerator handle before being ripped away and I tug on Jun's shirt to keep him from getting inside as best as I can. Through all of the tussle, we manage to fall on the floor where I use my small advantage to maneuver around him, sitting on his back like a proud champion. While still on the ground, I open the fridge and pull the two containers out.

        Aunty Kehlani stands above us with a blank stare. With reluctance, she hands me two pairs of chopsticks and paper plates.

         "Tonight is going to be a long night."

         "Try a long week, Aunty."

...

When Brendon arrives at the house a few hours later, he's quickly whisked away by Rana who volunteers to show him around.

        There's no better way to be immersed in our world. Local favorites by Hawaiian artists and others blast through the speakers—if Brendon thinks he's getting through the night without hearing Red Red Wine by UB40 at least ten times, he's sadly mistaken—while more people cycle through the doors. On top of Marty's and Rami's families, Jun's and Seira's parents come, as well as Lauren's sisters.

        It doesn't need to be said but Brendon fits in like he's been here all along. Wind blowing in his hair, a constant glimmer in his eyes, the relaxation that's required of anyone who has the honor of experiencing our islands.

        We might not have our families here, but there's no shortage of love to go around.

        For hours, we all laugh and play games. Aunty Kehlani takes a stab at teaching Brendon how to use chopsticks again but it doesn't go well. (A for effort, babe.) In and out-of-tune singing. Even some dancing when Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's Take Me Home Country Roads plays. Seira gets Brendon on his feet, swinging his arms around and forcing him to rock his hips side-to-side. Jun joins in by showing Brendon how to dance while Rami and I sit on the side enjoying the view.

        By the time I notice Lauren isn't amongst the crowd, the sun is set and the three bozos are swaying back and forth with their arms around each other.

        "Did you see where—"

        He just his chin out toward the beach. "She's out there."

        I'm a firm believer in loving all things belonging to the ocean, a byproduct of being Pasifika. As is the nature of being a person of the ocean, I feel most at ease when I'm in a city near the water. Having been born and raised in Hawaii always feels like a blessing and a curse; I've been spoiled with the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, and subsequently, compare all others to ours. White powdery sand, crystal blue waves, just the right amount of warmth any time of year.

        Kicking off my slippers, I grab an extra drink from the cooler before making my way down to the beach in front of Marty's house. Along the coast, I see a string of warm lights
and catch glimpses of shadows as they flock to their corner of paradise.

        I find her on the sand just out of reach of where the waves crest highest. Her legs are pulled up to her chest, and she rests her chin on top of her knees with her arms wrapped around her legs.

        "Thanks," Lauren says, accepting the bottle. Olive branches are overrated. "Has Aunty broken out the karaoke machine yet?"

         "Surprising not. But she's on her fourth glass of wine so I'm sure it's coming soon."