21: 2015

𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

**𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟻**

"Is it a little hot in here?" My hands were pressed against the marble countertop of the bar trying to find any source of coolness to bring down my growing temperature

"Is it a little hot in here?" My hands were pressed against the marble countertop of the bar trying to find any source of coolness to bring down my growing temperature. My heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest.

"No," Bucky replied, elbow leaning against the black leather barstool.

"It feels hot," I repeated, fanning my face with my hands trying to keep the moisture prickling through my skin at bay. "I think the mask is making me sweat,"

"Yes, Josephine," I could hear the annoyance in his voice although I couldn't see it. "The two inch plastic mask that's only covering your eyes is what's making you hot," My leg was bouncing up and down against the chair. I couldn't even help it at this point. My calm demeanor had completely slipped away. I don't know if I actually ever had a calm demeanor. Victoria caught me off guard. "Relax," Bucky told me again.

I huffed and glared. "How do you expect me to relax when the second I walk into that office to claim my prize my sister is going to put two bullets in my chest and throw me overboard. It's taking everything in me not to go outside those doors and willingly throw myself overboard right now. Don't worry, I'd pull you over the edge too just so you don't feel left out,"

Bucky removed the one black glove covering his right hand and tapped two fingers on the table ordering two shots from the bartender. I raised an eyebrow. "Drinking on a mission? James, this is not the time or place,"

He placed the glasses in front of me. "They are for you,"

"Oh in that case..." I picked one up, eyeing the substance. "Forget what I said," I quickly drank both of the liquids in the glasses with ease and managed to keep my lipstick intact. "I don't feel better," I frowned.

"Give it a minute,"

"You just want me to be quiet,"

"Well, it wouldn't hurt," he said as his eyes scanned the upstairs of the building. "They are still with the first buyers,"

"Great," I said with a false sense of cheerfulness. "More time for me to have a mental breakdown over my sister not being who she says she was. Evil ex-sister. I should get a list framed of all my life catastrophes because my life is just so awesome. Sorry that was insensitive to say to you,"

"I didn't take any offense," he assured me. "I get it. You were betrayed by someone you never thought would ever do something like that,"

"It's not necessarily a new phenomenon I'm dealing with but the initial sting still hurts,"

"Am I getting close?" Bukcy asked and my face contorted into one of confusion. "To finding out what your secret is?"

"Oh right. You're getting warmer,"