The stupid sad hat - AU

Comenzar desde el principio

-----

You fail. You've had all your morning classes and you, Nat and Bucky are walking to the cafeteria. And Wanda hasn't left your mind at any time so far.

"Did you guys talk to Wanda today?" You ask, trying to sound casual, and notice out of the corner of your eye your friends exchanging glances. Nat just hums in denial.

"I did." Bucky speaks and you glance briefly at him. "I bumped into her when I was leaving Professor Xavier's classroom." He tells you and you nod slowly. "Is she okay?"

"I think so." He replies with a confused frown, not understanding your sudden interest in talking about Wanda. "She seemed to be, at least." He adds. You say nothing and the three of you are silent for a brief moment before Bucky speaks again.

"She said she's coming to your party tonight." He says in an encouraging tone, trying to make you feel better. You hum in agreement, but you know she won't. Because you have just seen Wanda sitting on the lawn talking to Pietro and Monica, and the hat is still on her head.

When your friends see the three of them sitting there, they invite you to go talk to them. But you shake your head with a dismissive expression, saying that you would meet them later.

They both assume worried expressions, but they don't insist, and you feel grateful for that. After the two say goodbye to you, you walk alone toward the cafeteria.

-----

"You've been quiet all day." Nat remarks as the last class of the day ends and you're leaving Professor Fury's classroom. "You're welcome then, you keep complaining about my unnecessary comments." You retort with a playful smile and Nat rolls her eyes, elbowing you lightly.

"What's wrong?" She asks with a worried frown. "Nothing." You reply, shrugging, but when Nat casts you a look of disbelief you chuckle. "I'm worried about Wanda, that's all."

"Why?" she asks and you stare ahead for a while, taking a deep breath of the late afternoon breeze. "I just am." You answer simply after a while, not wanting to give her the real reason. "(Y/n)-"

"I know, I know." You interrupt, flashing her a half smile before looking ahead again. "I have to move on. I should've listened to you. One should never date a roommate. I understand it now. I'm just... paying the price, I guess."

She holds your shoulders, making you stop, and you turn to face her, confused. "Even though it's always nice to hear you say I'm right, that's not what I was gonna say." She says with a smile and you frown. "(Y/n), I'm your friend and that's why I'm gonna say what I'm about to say okay?" She informs and you nod. "You're very dumb."

"How friendly." You joke, rolling your eyes. When you look at Nat again, she watches you with tender eyes. "It's obvious that she still likes you, and it's even more obvious that you still like her too." She comments and you feel your cheeks warming a little, shifting the weights between your feet shyly.

"So maybe you were right, and you really are meant to be. And all that crap you usually talk about." She adds the last part in a teasing tone and you giggle. But soon your giggle dies and you assume a slight expression of hurt.

"But it doesn't matter anymore, Nat. We broke up. In one of the worst ways, even." You say, looking away, trying to keep her from seeing your sadness. "There's no turning back."

"And what happens to repairing what was broken?" She comments suddenly, and you look at her again. Noticing your confused expression, she continues. "The class Fury just taught, man, kintgisu and stuff." She explains with a playful smile and you chuckle. "Kintsugi." You correct and she rolls her eyes. "Kintsugi." She repeats in an annoyed tone and you laugh.