T W E N T Y E I G H T

Start from the beginning

Okay well, that answers one question. Public displays of affection is definitely fine with him.

"What are we talking about?" Joe asks me.

"Mayas over-caffeination problem. She had lord knows how much double strength coffee yesterday," I explain to him the horrors of what I just heard.

How did Robert survive her in that state? I suddenly wondered. I should remember to check on him today.

Joe groans and runs a hand down his face.

"You're still doing that? I thought I weaned you off the stuff," He complains.

Maya ignores him as she focuses on the game.

I turn my face to him, jaw open again.

"This isn't the first time she's done this?" I ask him.

He shook his head.

"How do you think Robin was so jittery in the show? It wasn't a part of the script, Maya just wouldn't stop with the double strengths," He explained to me.

"Maya!" I exclaimed.

She slams her hands on the dash again.

"He must cheat. He must cheat! How else can this kid have such an impossible score to beat?" She complains, before turning to me.

I stare at her.

"What?" She asks.

"You've got to look after yourself Maya. Your heart can't take that much caffeine, you'll send yourself to an early grave like that," I tell her.

"Oh it's fine! I'm only young. I should live a little now, because getting older means watching everything you eat and drink. Must be boring, is it Joe? Is it boring?" She asks him with a smirk.

"Calling me old? Really?" Joe laughs.

I'm about to make another attempt at convincing her to be more careful, when I feel weight over my shoulders.

I turn to my side, and see Gaten with his arms over both Joe and I.

"Hey lovebirds," He says grinning.

I lean my head on him as some form of a hug.

"Hey Gaten," Joe and I both say hello.

"I'm glad we've all got a scene together today. But, I just need to remind you guys who the star of the show is," He says.

Joe looks at him.

"Millie?" Joe asks, confused.

"Me, Joe. Me. So no upstaging me with your little chemistry presentation! The people want to see Dustin save the day, yet again," Gaten informs us.

Gaten ruffles our hair, then walks over to Millie and Finn, presumably to give them a similar talking to.

Maya, Joe and I all look at each other and laugh, shaking our heads.

*****

Maya and I are sitting down on the floor of the video store set, preparing for our scene. She leans her head on me as she lets out a big yawn.

"This is called the comedown," I tell her.

"Are you still lecturing me about that?" Maya asks me, rolling her eyes.

"I just don't want anything to happen to you. You're my friend, and you mean a lot to me. I don't want to lose you," I say softly.

Maya lifts her head up, off of my shoulder and looks into my eyes.