"Nah, he likes himself too much for that, trust me." I say, thinking about Rooster.

"Riiiight." She pretends to believe me.

"Mhm looks like the navy can break your heart before you ever do." I joke.

"Looks like we're in the same boat sister." She says.

"Really? Who's your guy??" I ask out of curiosity.

She cocks her head across the bar, and I follow the movement to see the guy who's responsible to buy everyone's drink for tonight... my father.

Captain Pete Mitchell. Better known as Maverick. He was always a better fighter than he was a father.

And I didn't even notice him. A million thoughts run through my head.

Why is he here? What is he doing at Top Gun?Why didn't he call me after I was back from Florida?

Nevertheless, we haven't talked in years. Not since I found out he pulled Bradley's papers.

"You mean Pete Mitchell? Maverick?" I double check.

Penny is surprised once again. "Yeah, you know him?"

"A little too well. You see, that's my father." I explain, and groan at the memory of him.

"Wait, you're Rachel?"

Huh, so Maverick does talk about me.

"Pleasure to meet you Penny. If he breaks your heart again, I can beat him up for you." I say, smiling, my dimples showing through at the corners of my mouth.

"Not to pry but... who was your mother and what happened to her? If it's not too forward." Penny panics.

I sigh, recalling how my dad explains her memory. "She was my father's instructor at Top Gun back in the day. Her name was Charlotte Blackwood, she died when I was 3, so I don't remember much about her. Then I grew up with Mav until I was 18, and I signed up for the navy." I didn't give her a lot of information, it was unnecessary.

"You don't talk much." Penny says carefully.

"I don't have much of anything to say."

Somebody orders a drink from her, and we both say our goodbyes.

I stay at the bar, alone, trying not to break the no phone rule.

I pick up my eyes, and Penny's talking to Maverick.

He lifts his eyes to meet mine.

I nod, acknowledging him, but I don't do anything else. I don't have anything left to say to him.

Penny flirts with him, but my dad tries to pay for the drinks, his card gets declined.

I laugh at his predicament.

I see Hangman, Payback, and a few others come to Penny's rescue, and my dad is thrown out of the bar.

I'd bet my wingman that my father would be our instructor for our mission, so I know that the boys would be regretting their decision soon.

I almost laughed out loud from the irony.

The jukebox is unplugged, and all the old men groan from the lack of music.

Bradley struts over to the piano, which is conveniently next to my seat at the bar.

We both ignore each other's existence.

Everyone gathers round, as his fingers hover delicately over the keys.

Rooster starts playing a familiar tune.

I freeze, but it's nothing. It's not like it was our tradition anymore.

He rips his head back and sings, "YOU SHAKE MY NERVES AND YOU RATTLE MY BRAIN~
TOO MUCH LOVE DRIVES A MAN INSANE~
YOU BROKE MY WILL, BUT WHAT A THRILL—"

Everyone joins in yelling, "GOODNESS GRACIOUS, GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!"

I slowly smile at the old memories rolling in before I stop myself.

No, Bradley and I are strangers. Co-workers now.

I look at my father, who still lingers outside of the bar, who seems to take it more physically and personally than I did.

This is going to be a long couple of weeks.

"Penny!" I call out to the bar lady.

She comes over to me. "Done for the night?"

"Yeah," I say, throwing down a twenty.

Then I pull out my credit card.

"How much does my dad owe?" I say, I guess I'm the responsible one now.

Who am I kidding? I've always been the one picking up after him.

"No I can't let you pay." Penny says with a smile and a shake of her head.

"How much?" I ask adamantly.

She hands me a receipt and my eyes widen at his newly found debt. The navy can really drown their hearts out.

I shake my head, putting my card away, "Never mind Penny, Maverick's a grown man. He can take care of himself."

I hope so. After all, he's been doing it for years. Just give him a cockpit and he'll be alright.

Deciding to turn in early, I say goodbye to her and Phoenix.

But before I shoot out the door to the bar behind me, I find Rooster staring right at me.

I turn around, not bothering to look back at him for another moment. I back out in my cherry red Mustang without a second thought, ready to leave the past behind me.

Eye of the Stormजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें