Ch.9

When you got into the diner you were greeted by a nice lady. She had her grey hair in a bun. With a pink and blue knee-length skirt and white apron.

"Hi boys" she said sweetly, "Seats for two?"

"Oh no, actually" Hoodie said smiling "seats for three" he put a hand on your lower back pulling you closer to him.

"Oh well that's one more than I'm used to seeing" she said grabbing three menus, "Welcome to Kathie's Diner"

"Thank you" you said giving her a smile, "It's nice to meet you"

"You're too sweet," she said putting a hand on her heart "It's nice to meet you too.".

She started walking, gesturing for us to follow and we did. The inside of the diner was very 80's, but in a good way. The bar with the red stools that kids spin on until they make themselves sick, the neon signs. And the tall case with a pair of roller skates, trophies, photos, and some medals.

The diner had a scent of funnel cake and fryer oil. It wasn't too bad though.

When we got to our seats it we sat down, it was a red booth with a metal table. Hoodie and Masky sat on one side while you sat across from them.

"Do you know what you want to drink or should I give you a minute?" She said passing out the plastic coated menus.

"I'll just have a coffee with creamer" Hoodie said.

"Okay" she said writing the order down on the notepad, "And for you Tim?".

"Just the usual" he responded looking over the menu.

Tim... He sure doesn't look like a Tim.
If Masky was Tim.. then who was Hoo-

"And what would you like" the waitress asked.

"Oh um." You looked down at the menu, "I'll take a Coke".

She scribble it down on her notepad "Alrighty I'll have that out in one minute" she said before walking back into the doors behind the counter.

You looked at the menu:

Hamburger,
Hotdog
Cheese fries
Chili cheese fries

Funnel Cake.

Your mouth watered when reading the label. Man that sounded good, even though it was breakfast.

You tried to look at other foods but you kept coming back to the funnel cake.

You haven't eaten anything in at least 12 hours, so you should make up for it in something delicious.

The nice waitress came back with our drinks. Leaving a coffee pot in the table for Hoodie.

"Have you decided what you'll be having today?" She said getting the notepad and pen out of her apron pocket.

"I'll just take scrambled eggs with bacon," Masky said licking his bottom lip, "with the bacon extra crispy."

Masky.. smiled and what a sight to see. It was quite a nice smile. It wasn't from seeing pleasure in other people's pain,No, this smile was kind and happy.

It was quite nice to see him generally happy, usually he was a big brute.

"I'll have pancakes with syrup" Hoodie said pouring his cup of coffee.

The waitress looked at you smiling waiting for you to order.

"Oh can I have the funnel cake?" You say embarrassed, I mean no one else chose desert over breakfast.

"That's a desert item you cant-" Masky said before being interrupted by a "of course!, Will that be all?"

"Yup" Hoodie said gathering the menus, you gave Hoodie yours while Masky sat there with his jaw open.

The kind lady took the menus and went back to the diner's kitchen.

You tried not to laugh at Masky's face, "You should probably closed your mouth before a fly gets trapped." You say taking a sip of your coke.

Masky shot you a glare.

It took everything in you not to burst out laughing there. It looked like Hoodie was holding back his laughs.

"I forgot to tell her I didn't want butter on my pancakes,"Hoodie said getting up from his seat, "I'll be right back".

When Hoodie went up to the counter, you found it the perfect opportunity to ask.

"Is Tim your real name?" You asked Masky.

"Why would you want to know?" He asked stirring his coffee then taking a sip.

"I'm just curious," you say fiddling with a straw wrapper.

Masky let out a sigh, "Well, since we're holding you hostage.." he said "I guess I could tell you..".

You looked up at him to see him staring back at you.

"My real name is Tim" he continues "But I would prefer you call me "Masky" ".

"Could I ask why?" You say taking another drink of your coke.

He let out a sigh.

"I only let people call me Tim if I trust them..." He said peering out the window.

Written: 6-13-22