18

Mari could feel Boodah's eyes burning holes into her.

They were in carpentry class working on an assignment in pairs. Lucky for her, she drew Lamar's name out of the box. Unfortunately for Boodah, he picked James' name.

Mari and her partner finished the worksheet in no time and were slacking off as she filled him in on the full story of the drama.

"Yo that shit don't even make sense. He lame as fuck for actin like that. And James ass ain't no better." He said as she rolled her eyes, getting a little upset at his rude comments towards the boys for some reason.

"It's whatever, I don't care. I'm just mad I gotta help at this dumb dance with James."

•••

Friday Evening

"Are you serious?" Mari whined to Mrs. Wilson.

"Mariposa I'm sorry, but since it was so last minute I had to put y'all on the same duty." She explained. "Look, baby, it's only hallway monitoring. Y'all are barely gonna see eachother. What are the chances of you bumping into him?"

Mari let out a deep, aggravated sigh as she anxiously awaited the arrival of her partner.

She was only able to spend a few minutes before she heard the door open and the voice that now enraged her ringing in her ear.

"Heyyyyyyy, Mrs. Wilsonnnn." He sang, making Mari's eye twitch.

"Good evening, James." She replied smiling. "First, I want to thank you both for coming in so early. I'll call you two when the event has started. Stay in here for now."

•••

James was staring at Mari, trying his best to provoke her. He knew she felt him doing it, so why didn't she say anything?

"You seen the shit that Jayla said?" He asked her, breaking the 20 minute silence.

"Don't ask me no dumb ass questions." She retorted.

He kissed his teeth, "Whateva."

A while later the counselor came back in the room.

"Okay, all y'all gotta do is make sure them kids ain't freaking in the halls or bathrooms. Let's go."

•••

2 Hours Later

Message from Bro ❤️

I'm outside. Got some food for you

Jah bless. I'm comin for it now

Mari peeked around the corner to ensure no teachers were watching her then dashed towards the entrance of the school.

"Uhn uh, where you goin'?" James called out.

She rolled her eyes and kept it pushing.

"Yooo." Mari's brother said as he rolled the window down.

"Yeoo. Thanks again that food trash in there." She said grabbing the bag and her drink.

He chuckled, "No problem. Get back in there and lemme know when you're done."

"Yessir. Byee!" She beamed, waving him off.

She hurried back to her station.

•••

"Come wimme." James said after walking up to Mari.

She screwed her face up him. There was no way he was speaking to her.

"No." She spat.

He calmly snatched her drink from her hand and ran.