The Transformation

My eyes tore open. They scanned the darkness in which I was in. All around the dark consumed me. I could barely move. I felt like I was suffocating. Yet still, I did not panic. I felt as if I had been tucked away into a shoebox. The Entity's whispers suddenly swirled around me. That sharp pain was gnawing at my back again. I stirred slightly, trying to relive the feeling. But I could hardly move. Where was I? It was so quiet and dark and small in here.

Yet still, I did not panic.

The whispers got louder, more desperate. That pain in my back persisted as well. Ugh! It felt like something was trying to come out of it. The Entity's cold touch stroked my sides with a twisted affection.

I am going to make you beautiful.

There it went again with that bullshit. What'd that even mean? A grunt left me as I squirmed where I laid on my back. I rose a shaky hand up and tried to touch something in front of me. I ended up stubbing my hand on a short roof, where dirt and dust fell onto me.

Am I...? Underground?

My eyes widened and I felt as awake as ever. I was buried! I threw both hands out and desperately clawed at the roof. I continued this until I realised why I was here. I paused, slowly lowered my hands.

"Dead," I rasped out.

I was dead.

Well, clearly not anymore! The Entity whispered sweet nothings to me with its cold touch wrapped around my broken body. Anger fuelled me. The pain in my back worsened. The creature told me terrible things. I could feel it corrupting me then and there. It told me about the pleasures of death and how I should just indulge. It wanted to bring me back. It wanted me to be a killer.

I now understood what it meant when it said it was going to make me 'beautiful'.

A scream ripped through me. It wasn't in fear, or pain. Though the pain in my back was beginning to become excruciating. I screamed in anger. Rage. Rage towards the Entity for doing this to me. Doing this to my family. It made me forget Danny. It made him go after me in the real world. It made me forget my own daughter. I screamed in anger because all this terrible stuff it was saying, all the carnage and death it begged me to inflict...

It sounded wonderful.

The fog was all around me in this small space. The unwilling corruption spread over me was like the plague. Another scream ripped through my vocal cords. Everything hit me all at once. Everything we went through, my death, my craving to just kill something.

"NO!" I shrieked.

The anger evolved into strength. I dug my fingers into the dirt above me, breaking it apart. The pain in my back didn't stop me from anything. I clawed through the ground, dragging myself up like a demon from hell. I could feel blood now pooling from my back as I climbed up to the surface. I screamed in pain now. I kept pulling myself up through the dirt. My hand shoved through, feeling cold and airy. It was out! I gasped, breaking through the surface of the realm. Something shot out from my back, bursting through my skin. I threw my head back and shrieked in agony.

With a final strand of anger, I punched through the ground. My body emerged like a phoenix. A final scream dragged out from my mouth. Two giant appendages tore out from my back. It was the most pain I had ever felt in my entire life. And that was saying something. Being an ex survivor, I had been through a lot. My heart stopped and I whipped my head around to see what had happened to me.

Two black feathery wings protruded from my back.

My shirt was but a tattered pile on the cracked ground below. I breathed heavily, staring on in pure shock at my new... modification. The Entity... it... turned me into—an angel?

This is how you fell.

A fallen angel, at that?

I spread the large black wings. I flapped them gently in the chilly air. When I glanced back, I noticed something. I turned on the spot and looked down at a wooden cross that stuck out of the ground I just crawled out of. A crow plushie followed by blighted flowers laid in the soil.

Here Lies—my name had faded from age and being out in the elements.

Loving spouse and parent.

A True Angel.

Tears welled up in my eyes at the glowing words that I was sure Danny carved.

"Danny..." I sighed, before realising.

I had to get home! But before I could even think, I heard somebody say my name. A man's deep voice, one that sounded just like—!

"Danny?"

I turned back around to see none other than Danny Johnson up ahead. I could see tears trickling down his pale face. He called my name again.

"Is it you? Is it really you?" Danny asked shakily.

I bit back a sob and nodded my head. "Yes, baby. It's me." I uttered.

I slowly crept over to him. He stared in nothing but utter awe. There I was, shirtless with angel wings spread out wide. I didn't want to toot my own horn, but I must've looked like a god. Speaking of which, Danny crumbled to his knees. He looked up at me as if I were his saviour. I crouched down right in front of him, a small smile meeting my lips. I placed a hand on his chest lovingly.

"It's okay. I'm here now." I whispered.

Danny's shoulders shook as he sobbed. His leather clad arms wrapped around my body in a tight embrace. The wings engulfed his entire form, fluttering gently against him.

"I thought I lost you!" The Ghost Face cried into my shoulder. "I thought you were gone forever!"

I ran my fingers through his dark hair. I gently shushed him and swayed us gently. When the man calmed down slightly, I could tell he wanted ask about the... wings.

"I have no idea. Because the Entity said so." I answered bluntly.

Danny seemed to grimace at the mention of the bastard creature. He hesitantly stroked some black feathers, his face softening at the touch.

"I think you're beautiful." He gaped.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, leaning against him.

"Thank you." I whispered.

My husband snaked his arms around me so tight, I almost couldn't breathe. We stayed silent against each other until he said my name again.

"Yeah?" I asked, looking up at him.

"What's with your eyes?"

I blinked once, then touched my face. "My eyes? What's wrong with me eyes?" I panicked.

Danny was quick to simmer me down.

"Nothing, my love. It's just that... they're black."

"What?!" I exclaimed.

The Entity really did a number on me...