"How would you know this word? I didn't ask you for anything. Go away!"

I heard his departing footsteps and looked out of the window to make sure that he had gone.

Is it for long?

"Maybe we should give him a chance to make amends? Look how hard he's trying," Mom said. She looked at me with misgiving.

"What chance, Mom?" my voice quivered. "These people treat us as lab rats, whose fate they can decide at a whim. I don't understand what he wants from me! What if he's like..." I stopped myself, realizing that my heart started pounding faster at the memory of him.

"Alana, sweetie, try to move on. I know what you've been through, but you have to learn to give people a chance. Not everyone is like..." she trailed off.

Mom heaved a sigh, having noticed that I was already shaking with fear. My eyes shifted back and forth, and my hands reached back as if trying to find a solid surface to lean on. "Sweetie, calm down, please! I didn't mean to upset you." She came up to me, hugged me, and started stroking my hair as if I were a baby.

I need some fresh air right now...

"Ok, let's get ready. We have a lot of plans for today, but the most important is to make it to the peak! I hear the view from there is stunning!" I said, pulling myself together and endeavoring not to engage in further conversation.

Before I left the room, I heard a knock on the door again. I pumped air into my lungs to unleash a wrathful speech, but then I noticed it was a courier at the doorstep. He handed me an exuberant bouquet of claret red roses, got my signature, and faded from view. There was a card with "Happy birthday, my love!" printed on the inside. I decided someone was joking and dumped the bouquet on the table. The only people that love me are my parents, and my dad had already called today.

When we got to the porch, we found a small gift-wrapped box and a tiny bouquet, most likely plucked from some flowerbed nearby. I would have liked to tear their arms off for doing this, but since it was a gift, I probably would not. I really wanted to take it, but my pride tried its best to get in the way.

"Don't stand on principle," Mom said, taking the box and tossing it in her purse, then she brought the flowers inside. "I'll give it to you in the evening and you'll open it."

"Throw out this rubbish! What if there's a bomb in there?" I shrieked. Mom gave me an icy look, and I realized how utterly ridiculous that sounded.

The rest of the day passed without a hitch. We spent all our time on the hiking trails, enjoying every moment that nature had given us. One thing has always surprised me: the higher are the mountains, the cooler it gets, and yet, the sun still burns your skin.

We used our privilege to the full and tried all the cableways. Endless vegetation covered the ground like a mossy blanket. It delighted the eye and we couldn't stop looking at it. The winters here must be breathtaking! I had not yet appreciated the mountain ski season.

The fresh air did me good, and who needs bed rest when the mountains have such an invigorating effect.

We decided to celebrate at our cottage since the restaurants at the second level of the resort were much too expensive for us. We also didn't venture to go down in fear of missing the cableway back. I went to take a shower, and my mom started cooking.

I dried my hair with a towel and wrapped it around myself; in my absent-mindedness, I had forgotten to bring a fresh change of clothes. Before I left the bathroom, I heard some voices. It sounded like my mom and some man, and after a while, I couldn't hear them talking anymore.

"Mom, who was here?" I asked. I came out in my towel and almost immediately locked eyes with him. "What the hell is he doing here?" I asked my mom in a panic, gripping the fabric as if it was a lifesaver. The anxiety rose inside me, and it threatened to erupt into hysterics.

"I came for you," Mike said, his voice calm but hoarse, scrutinizing every inch of exposed skin. "It seems you didn't even bother to touch the present I had left here in the morning, or you would've noticed the gift had a dinner invitation."

I backed off and into a wall that didn't let me disappear. Breathe in, breathe out...

Brace yourself and answer him, Alana. What's the matter? Cat got your tongue?

"Are you really that bored? Leave me alone. I'm not going anywhere with you. Please, leave," I said tiredly. I pointed at the door, but he didn't move.

Frustrated, I caught my mom's eye and gestured with my head for her to follow me into the next room.

"Honey, I understand your misgivings, but please, hear him out," she said, partially closing the door. She continued: "I'm not saying that you should throw yourself at him, but I think he isn't that bad. I don't know how to explain it, I have a good feeling about him. He made a mistake, but he realized it and tried to help instead of just leaving you there. Give him a chance. He's invited us to a restaurant to celebrate your birthday."

"But I don't want to go anywhere, Mom! What would I talk to him about? We're different, we have nothing in common."

"You'll never know if you don't try. His grandmother will be with us; Mike called her in my presence and set it up."

Thinking about Amanda brought a smile to my face. I would love to see her again, and I would not even care if he will be around.

"By the way, open Mike's gift. I'm really curious to see what it is," mom said, giving me a surreptitious wink and taking the box out of her purse.

The wrapping came away easily, and I almost forgot to breathe. My lips quivered and tears welled up into my eyes: in my hands, I held a pair of new wireless headphones.