𝗦𝗼𝗻𝗴𝗯𝗶𝗿𝗱 || Shaiapouf x F!reader (P. 1)

Start from the beginning

'Twice in one day... that voice is frustratingly tantalizing. I know my devotion lies to the king... but something about this song is... irresistible!'

Little by little, fissures appear around the cocoon of one of the unborn royal guards. Elegantly falling out, the guard wastes no time tracking down the sound of the voice, just as the first had done.

Once again sensing the strong presence, Y/N leaves her leftovers on the perch and jumps off, letting herself fall to ground level. The wind rushing through her hair, she simply smiles to the sky before letting her wings expand, catching herself just as she was about it hit the ground.

Fun over, Y/N flies into the entrance of the nest, using her en to locate her target.

Flying in the opposite direction, Y/N slams into an unfamiliar face. Thrown onto the ground, Y/N winces as she lands on a wing.

"My lady, are you alright? My sincerest apologies for flying into you, please, let me help."

Y/N moves her hair out of her face, looking up to see a dazzling figure. Coupled with his elegant outfit, his blonde hair and pale lavender skin rival Y/N's own beauty.

Still dumbfounded, Y/N sits on the ground until the man offers a hand. Gracefully accepting his gesture, Y/N picks herself up off the floor, dusting her dress as she stands. "I have not seen you before, are you also one of the royal guard?" Y/N muses, not breaking eye contact with the man in front of her.

"At your service."

"Tell me, what is your name?"

"Shaiapouf my lady. I recognize that you are the princess, it is a great honor. I came seeking your illustrious voice the second I entered this world."

"Then I shall call you Pouf." Y/N smiles softly, a light but unintelligible blush dusting her face.

Pouf bows, taking Y/N's hand in his own, lightly brushing his lips against the back of her hand. "I am not worthy."

Y/N giggles, thoroughly enjoying the flattery despite being showered in it since her birth.

"The king has yet to be born. I was tasked with protecting the queen until the royal guard was assembled. I am eager to see how you and the other two develop your abilities." Y/N muses, masterfully changing the subject.

"I can only hope I live up to your expectations, I assure you I will do everything in my power." Pouf responds, dramatically running a hand through his hair.

'He is... a dream...' Y/N thinks to herself, trying her hardest not to swoon over the attractive man.

Pouf chuckles, taking a step closer to Y/N to the point they were mere inches apart. Looking into her eyes, Pouf wryly smiles.

"I envy you, you must have awfully pleasant dreams~"

Taken aback, Y/N tries to step back, tripping over her own feet in the process. Swiftly catching her with a hand behind her back, Pouf only smiles wider, thoroughly enjoying the inadvertent praise from Y/N.

"Pouf... did you read my mind!?"

"I'm sorry my lady, I recognize it might arouse some discomfort but I assure you it was by accident. I'm still getting a handle on my newfound power." Pouf responds, hastily trying to come up with a legitimate excuse.

Gently pushing Pouf back, Y/N stands, running her hand up his chest, dryly smiling as looks up at him. "Don't let it happen again, but I stand by what I said... or thought."

Letting her wing brush against Pouf, Y/N tantalizingly walks past Pouf to an exit. Standing at the edge, Y/N looks down to the plummet below. Not hesitating, she jumps. Startled, Pouf follows after, watching as Y/N embraces her fall before letting her wings expand.

Singing as she flies, Y/N shoots upwards, Pouf following after in a fit of passion. The two circling each other as they fly, for a single moment they enjoy a fleeting glimpse of freedom before they're both reminded of the shackles they're burdened with.

Knowing well that she's going to be the king's mate, Y/N restrains herself from thinking anything more of Pouf.

Knowing well that she were to be the king's mate, Pouf restrains himself from thinking anything more of Y/N.

Falling back, Pouf watches Y/N fly off back to her perch, wistfully watching as she continues her song.

Days go by, the final royal guard finally born shortly after Pouf. The entire nest waits in anticipation for the king to be born. Every morning without fail, Y/N flies to her perch and sings to her hearts content. Although all the royal guards enjoy her performances, Pouf spends his entire day and night yearning to hear her voice again.

In the time Y/N does not spend singing, she absentmindedly roams around yearning for the time to come when she can sing again, knowing that the eyes of Pouf are on her. The only gaze she cares about, the only gaze she could ever care about.

She knew well that she could not love the king. Despite her overwhelming resentment, Y/N pushes her feelings deep inside, knowing that she was born for a reason.

Pouf does the same, pushing his own feelings for the songbird down, knowing well that he had to serve the King, not inhibit his chances for an heir.

Once again, Pouf wakes up to the sound of Y/N singing. Meandering his way outside, Pouf sighs dejectedly as he watches Y/N fly through the air, her melody reaching the furthest corners of his mind, consuming him in an indescribably blissful feeling.

Too distracted by the princess, Pouf only reacts to the queen's wails when he sees Y/N rush straight to her chambers. As the entire colony make their way to the queen's chambers, Y/N runs into Pouf and the other two royal guard.

Making way for their superiors, Y/N leads the three guards to the front of the crowd, unperturbed to see the king had bore himself prematurely.

Noticing Peggy try to rush to the queen's side in a bid to save her, Y/N spreads her wing and blocks Peggy's path. "Don't."

Looking the king in the eyes, Y/N feels nothing, not the burn of lust or the spark of love. Behind her, the three royal guard bow to their king.

Satisfied, the king steps out his egg and slowly looks Y/N up and down, a smile of approval slowly growing on his face. "Come. Let us feast."

Ignoring the queen, Y/N is led out of the chamber by the king, his hand guiding, or forcing, her out.

Turning around, Y/N slaps his hand away and moves back towards the queen. Pouf watches in shock as she moves, her unwavering conviction only making his heart twinge with desire.

The king merely watches curiously as Y/N spreads her wings, the deep crimson color entrancing him further. Letting her voice carry through the room, Y/N sings a slow and somber melody, relaxing the queen to let her die a painless death.

"How can you turn your back... how can you let her die?!"

Y/N looks to see a squadron leader step, one she recognized well. "I gave her the mercy the world denies us all. Yes, she will die, but it will be painless. I'm no goddess, I cannot preform a miracle."

A bitter taste in her mouth, Y/N leaves the chambers, following her king and the guards, her eyes on Pouf's back, too smitten by him to pay mind to her mate.