2. Connected

I froze in front of the staircase next to the elevator. Chishiya stepped inside.

“Are you coming or do you want your last moments to be on that staircase?” He smirked. That smirk of his irked me in both a good and bad way.

“I’m not afraid of death, but I don’t want to be killed by a human-horse.” I answered with a smile skipping into the elevator. I put my hood back up, that had been blown down by the wind. I felt his cold eyes on me. I was not a big fan of people staring at me, it made me self conscious.

“Are you a feline lover?” Chishiya broke the awkward silence.

I looked at him in confusion. Why ask me that when you literally look a cat?!

He must have seen my confusion because he motioned with a pointed finger to the top of my hoodie. Immediately my hands went to my hoodie’s cap and I felt the ears. I only then realised that I had chosen to wear my cat-eared hoodie today. This is embarrassing.

I lifted my head with pride to hide my embarrassment but Chishiya already saw my red face, because there was an incoming smirk.

“Yes. You?”

He looked at the elevator door, “They’re my favorite animal.”

Was this guy getting personal with me? I squinted my eyes at him.

“What?” Chishiya asked in irritation.

“So you’re not an emotionless asshole?” The sound of my voice dripped in sarcasm.

“Pft, don’t get your hopes up.” He said before the doors opened.

“ I don’t give a shit about you, so you shouldn’t worry.” I walked out of the elevator but stopped.

“Is your mood changing again?” He stopped next to me.

“If that door is the safe zone, then why is the tagger not guarding it?”

Chishiya shrugged his shoulders, “Don’t know. But you’re right, it’s too easy.” With that he walked to semi-safe zone. He probably knew why. I followed behind him. I strangely felt safe in his presence. Maybe it was because I knew that he was smart and that following him would decrease my chances of dying.

As we approached the apartment door 406 Arisu came into sight.

“You also noticed?” Chishiya asked Arisu.

Just before Arisu turned the doorknob, he glanced at us, “Why is the tagger not here guarding the door?”

Chishiya’s expression was anonymous to me, because I stood behind him.

“I guess there are still some things we don’t know yet.” I could heard his smug smile when he also reminded Arisu of the little time we had left.

Arisu hesitantly reached for the door again. I tugged at Chishiya’s hoodie.

“What if there is another tagger?”I whispered still sceptical of the situation.

Chishiya turned to me with his constant non-changing smile. As Arisu went inside, I reached into my hoodie’s pocket for my fake lip balm. If you removed the cap, a small knife would reveal itself. Chishiya followed behind Arisu and the fear of him getting shot replayed in my mind. With shaky hands I opened the door standing in the doorway.

Not even 10 seconds passed before another tagger revealed itself. Two things happened at the same time : I threw my tiny knife inside the room and Arisu pushed Chishiya out of the tagger’s way. Without hesitation I grabbed Chishiya and yanked him outside slamming the door.