Chapter Three

Time passed since my first and only encounter with that wolf. Victor had me under constant supervision to ensure I didn't do anything foolish before the dreaded Gala. After weeks of more hell the Gala night had finally come. It was an elite event, broadcast throughout all the supernatural realms. There was the silver walk where alphas strutted with their Luna's, or betas if they were unmated, as a show of peacocking. It had been a show of who was who but now it was equivalent to the red carpet walk in the human world, only the alpha's could walk it though the event had different levels of wolves inside. It was such an event the packs always put their best efforts forward to make their representatives shine. Even I would receive extra attention for the event in the past but it was clear no one would come as they poured their hearts into Natalia. They knew she wouldn't walk but they wanted to please their alpha.
         Victor had always pretended we were a true couple through coordinating outfits, his would be a finer quality than mine but they'd match in color and accents. This year he chose a forest green ensemble with gold accents. A hideous choice for both of us but a perfect match for Natalia with her mousey brown curls and emerald jeweled eyes. I hated him more that he could be so pathetic. The dress itself wasn't entirely hideous, I decided to keep it for a later project. Luckily I managed to win the pity of one of my gaurds, whom thorough a steep bribe bought me the materials to design my own dress. My mother had been a seamstress and passed her skills to me. I created a sapphire blue floor length gown with a fitted bodice that hugged my curves and a free flowing skirt. I decorated the bodice and the bottom edges with silver and light blue crystals in swirling patterns down the torso and peppered clusters at the hemline to mimick the stars in the sky. I wore white lace hand gloves and my mother's silver locket as my only piece of jewelry. I pinned my hair into a French updo and decorated it with a silver and sapphire hair pin resembling leafy branches.
        I looked elegant and mature, the exact look I wished to convey. I looked at myself in surprise,I did not usually praise my own appearance but I resembled my mother so much with my winter silver hair and crystal blue eyes that looked exactly like my mother's, though hers were full of life and wisdom while mine were dull and lifeless. I never knew my father, my mother would reminisce fondly of him but she never confirmed who he was, what he looked liked or if he was even alive. She would always tell me how my shift golden peachy complexion and my expressive expressions reminded her of him. I didn't dwell on his absence until her death a year after our marriage. I never got to deal with that loss or the guilt I felt leaving her alone like that. I squeezed the locket tightly, channeling her strength as I composed myself for the long night ahead.
           I took a deep breath and let out a satisfying sigh before stepping out. The hall was eerily quiet and it was clear why as I drew closer to the stairs, everyone was farming over Victor and a Natalia. Even I thought she was facing in her princess dress made of fine silk and satin with golden accents on the off shoulder sleeves and embroidered in a playful pattern on her bodice, she looked like a princess with her fancy dress and accessories but she was like a child. Naive to the world and the hardships of running a pack, I could tell Victors plan would be to have me shoulder all the heavy work while she would receive the glory. I couldn't believe a fated mate would be so cruel.
           I felt scared of the packs opinion, an old Disney movie about an orphan girl abused by her family trying to go to a ball played in my mind. I slipped back to my room and opened a floor board where a dusty old box sat hidden. This could be my last night here, I could risk leaving my only worldly possessions behind. In the box contained my mother's moon stone comb, a few pictures of my childhood and most important of all, a sketch of my mother holding me as a newborn with the initials -A-V-N- scribbled carelessly at the bottom corner. I remember mother showing me, how she's smile so longingly at it. I folded it all neatly and slid them into a forest green cloak with golden detailing. I repeated the words be stronger than the fear. I repeated the mantra until my nerves were calmed.
              "Let's do this." I said aloud, ready to fight for my happiness.