Chapter 7

"I used to love it when it stormed in Russia," James mentioned in the otherwise silence of the truck, thinking back to their time in the Red Room. "The thunder and rain were always the perfect cover." He looked at her again with a soft smile on his face. The soldier would often use the cover on the storm to sneak into Natalia's room or vice versa. They were cold nights, but they were some of the most comfortable.

Natasha looked back over to James as he spoke, her thumb working to gently stroke over his hand. "I would stay up on those nights. I just knew you would come." Natasha thought back fondly.

He smiled warmly, he turned his hand over slightly to interlock their fingers. "You would always be waiting." He released a heart-felt chuckle as he reminisced. The memories with her were some of the only good memories he had of that time. "My Natalia." 

Natasha took in a light breath, the relief she felt was unmatched. "I've always been yours." She spoke softly, her fingers easily sliding into the space between his. A perfect fit. "Even when you didn't remember being mine." 

He felt his heart and stomach flutter at her words. He was heartbroken but his heart was made up at the same time, and his grip somewhat tightened. He brought her hand up and pressed a kiss to the back of it. The home wasn't so far from the highway, he found himself on the final road before the driveway.

Natasha's expression softened, regaining some control of her hand to gently stroke his hand in comfort. "We have plenty of time to make up for what we lost." She assured him.

"A lifetime," James replied softly, looking at her with a warm smile briefly before looking to the road and pulling onto the drive outside the large converted barn.

"A lifetime." Natasha echoed her agreement, turning her gaze back to the house as they rolled up. She couldn't help but feel a small sense of dread as they pulled up. The very last time she had been at the house... it had been the last time things had been remotely 'normal'.

James took the keys out of the ignition once parked and looked at the redhead beside him, studying her features. "Everything okay?" He asked softly, Nessy had since nodded off once again, the kitty being hugged loosely by the infant.

Natasha nodded with a tight smile, giving his hand a small squeeze. "I haven't been here in a long time." She spoke softly. It had only really just dawned on her. "We'd better get her inside." Natasha nodded, not wanting to give herself too much time to dwell, for fear she wouldn't want to go inside at all.

James still couldn't even begin to imagine what she had been through. He stroked her hand momentarily before agreeing. "You're right.." He said softly. He stepped out of the truck, rounding to her door where he would open it, reaching over and unbuckling the sleepy little girl and holding her close to his chest, ensuring the stuffed animal was there as well, he made sure to hold his jacket over the infant.

Natasha lifted up the hood of her jacket before she would step out of the truck. She had witnessed James fade away before her eyes, a memory that had stayed with her over the years. She was almost glad she hadn't seen her children vanish, bearing witness to that would have been more torture than simply knowing they were gone. Snapping out of her thoughts, Natasha kept a few steps ahead of them, opening up the unlocked door to allow them inside and out of the rain.

Inside, Grace would look to the door once she picked up on the shuffling of shoes against the pavement until finally, the door creaked open to reveal the trio.

James quickly shuffled inside the home, a sleeping Nessy nestled against his chest, concealed within his jacket. He looked around, taking in the home, much more inviting than his apartment. He turned to the duo ahead of himself, a large smile on his damp face. "Hi!" He said in a happy tone, standing to the side quickly to allow Nat in.