He's Kinda Like Me

Start from the beginning

***

It wasn't difficult to locate Raymond. After leaving the senator's home, he drove to a tall office complex in the Central Business District. The two cupids followed him into the well-lit lobby of the building. Ada glanced around, taking in every polished surface, weird sculpture, and the stoical suit-wearing middle-aged man seated in the lobby.

Soon after talking with him, Raymond headed for the lift. They rushed in just in time to see him press number 14. Top floor, huh?

"I am so excited." Ada did a little wiggle. "Why have I never done this with my previous matches?"

Dusting invisible lint off a shoulder, Teddy leaned against the mirrored wall of the lift. "You are in the company of a master cupid. Learn well." when he attempted to ruffle her hair, Ada slapped his hand away at the last moment.

Raymond was on the phone. "...yeah. I'm like 2 seconds away from your office." He listened for a second and laughed before ending the call.

They made it out of the lift and into another wide lobby. Polished marble floor. Edgy sofas. Bright lighting and several lush house plants.

Ada tugged at Teddy's leather jacket as she rushed ahead. "I wonder what I'd find out about Raymond. All I have are the details in my logger."

Teddy paused, forcing Ada to stop too.

She turned to face him. "What?"

"Stick to what's in your logger. There are no shortcuts to this, Ada. Read the details in your logger over and over. Whatever the Division says about an assignment is always thorough and super useful."

Ada frowned. "So why are we trailing Raymond?"

"Because of the rifter, dumdum. You've been hanging out with Genevieve for over a week with no sign of a rifter. That would mean the troublemaker is probably chilling around Raymond."

Ada's jaw dropped. "No way."

"I bet my favourite leather jacket that I am correct." Swinging an arm over her shoulders, Teddy pulled her along. "Come on."

They followed Raymond into a sleek spacious office just in time to see a large bearded smiling man rise from his seat. His tie was loosened, and the cuffs of his shirt were folded up his brawny arms.

"Gosh, dude looks like a freakin' pro-wrestler," Teddy said through the corner of his mouth as they gawked at the muscular giant.

"Tola," Raymond's smile was bright and genuine. "It's been ages."

"And it's Raymond Dominic in the actual flesh. Haha!" Both men hugged, slapping each other on the back and laughing.

Finally, they pulled apart. "What the hell happened to all your hair, man?"

Chuckling, Tola swept a hand over his hairless head. "They kept falling off like that creepy scene in The Craft. Had to." He mimicked snipping motions with his fingers as he settled into his seat.

Raymond sat too. "Doesn't look so bad on you though. The Humpty vibe suits you."

As both men laughed again, a sudden movement to Ada's left snatched her attention. Clutching Teddy's lean arm, Ada shook him. "Did you see that?" she whisper-yelled.

"Yep." Teddy looked in the same direction the shadow had moved. "That has to be a rifter. Told you I'd be right about this."

"Five years."

Squeaking, Ada whipped around. The voice sounded like a child's; a tad high-pitched but also ominous. She had never seen a rifter before and had never bothered to pay attention in class to know enough about their appearance. Were they like imps? Membranous skin. Batty wings. Sharp teeth. She trembled and squeezed Teddy's arm tighter.