14. Descent Into Guilt

Start from the beginning

Amara rounded a corner and came face to face with Spiderman, who landed directly in front of her and she smiled, "Hey."

He reached up to scratch the back of his neck and said, "Hey, where you been? I haven't seen you around here in a while."

"Well, I have other things to be than be an acquaintance to a superhero," she replied flashing her sweetest and most innocent smile at the superhero.

"Just acquaintances? Really? I thought we were friends?" Spiderman replied with fake disappointment.

"Fine, I have better things to do than be a friend to a superhero," this earned a nod of agreement from Spiderman. "And what about you? You haven't exactly approached me either."

"I was out, being a hero."

"Right, you work with Aura now, right? She teach you morse code, yet?"

"Morse code?"

"Yeah, morse code. It's the most commonly used code by superheroes and spies," she clarified.

"Says who?" He asked, confused.

"Uh... every superhero and spy movie to ever exist?"

"No, she hasn't," he said, smiling.

"Well you better start learning," she shrugged.

"Why don't you teach me?" He challenged.

She scoffed, "Yeah, right! As I know morse code," she exclaimed, crossing her arms. "Besides, you don't need me anymore, you upgraded," Amara playfully smirked.

"What?! N-no! I would never..." Spiderman saw the growing amusement on Amara's face, "...And you're messing with me."

Amara feigned seriousness, but couldn't stop the smile plastered on her face, "No I'm dead serious, I feel really hurt."

"I think I might know something that'll make you feel better, you feel like having another swing across Queens with moi?" he tilted his head, playfully, to the side and held his arm out for her to hold onto.

Amara seriously couldn't wrap her head around how confident he was with her and how nervous he was with Aura, but she was somewhat impressed by how smooth he was being, so she walked up to him and allowed Spiderman to pull her in and hold onto her waist, She looked up at his masked face and realised that they were millimetres away from their noses touching, "Okay, bugboy, let's do it!"

They were so close that Amara could feel the superhero's pounding heartbeat through the fabric of his suit. He broke eye contact and laughed at her previous remark, "What'd you just call me?"

"You heard me," she smiled innocently as the superhero lifted them off the ground and swung them across the skyline of New York.

—————

The swinging wasn't as hard this time for Amara as it was last time because, for some reason, she felt as if she trusted Peter to not drop her - or at the very least, catch her before she hit the ground if he did. And because she trusted him, she actually had her eyes open this time, and it was exhilarating.

Amara watched the world come into view and fade away just as quickly, looking up at the low-hanging sun, almost as if they were chasing it, not allowing it to sink below the horizon; to freeze this moment so that it would last forever.

Spiderman finally let them down on a roof, which Amara instantly recognised as the same roof she took Spiderman to when he first met her as Aura.

"I've been wanting to bring you here for a while, you know, because you spend almost as much time on random ass roofs as I do," Spiderman said, looking down at his shoes.