Lake (Hoody & Masky)

Start from the beginning

The speaker played a random pop song from your phone as you sat next to it with your knees against your chest. You were admiring the scenery ahead of you before you were disrupted by Connie's request for a beer.

"Are you not coming in?", She caught the can just barely when you threw it lightly to her from your seat on the towel.

"You know it takes me a bit before I swim"

You place your head on your knees, watching her with a faint smile. Connie pops the tab and takes a sample. Her floaty slowly turns sideways, forcing her to twist her head in order to look at you.

"Lame", she says lazily then sticks her tongue out playfully at you. Returning the gesture, you rest your back against the ground, hands placed on top one another on your abdomen. Tension from weeks worth of work released from your muscles and you felt yourself get pulled deeper against the earth with a sigh. It was nice not having to do anything but chill and take everything in. Eventually you'd join Connie in the water but for now, you just wanted to close your eyes for a few...

They immediately snapped open not even a minute in when you felt hands wrap firmly around your ankles and drag you towards the water. Lifting your head off of the ground, you see Connie laughing and giggling like a mad man while her perky smile widens. She had completely caught you off guard and you were now floating on your back along the lake's crystalline waters. Connie released you and laughed as she watched you limply bob with a giant frown on your face.

"You should have seen the look on your face! I wasn't gonna let you sleep on me while we're here", She gripped at her sides as she rode off her laughing fit.

"Yeah, and now my hair's muddy", You dipped your head in the water and scrubbed at your scalp erratically, causing a cloud of mud to drift off to settle at the bottom of the lake.

Since you were already in the water, you decided to float around with Connie for a bit. Both of you taking turns with the dino floaty as you two talked and splashed. Looking up at the sky, you noticed it was getting darker signalled by the appearance of distant stars.

"We should head home. It's getting late and I don't want you driving in the dark on those sketchy roads"

Connie didn't argue as she followed you out of the water to pack up the equipment. It was time to head home anyways. You two had been out in the water for awhile now. After putting everything away in the trunk, both of you took your seats up front, ready to leave. Connie went to turn the ignition, expecting the car to start. Though instead of the quickly awakened roar of the engine, the car rumbled and stuttered before silencing.

"What the fuck, that's weird?", She spoke to herself and tried turning the key again briskly. Only this time, it didn't do anything at all. You watched as she frantically repeated the process to no real outcome and fell back on her seat helplessly. Worry evident on her face as well as yours.

You were right to be nervous earlier. You checked your phone to see if you could contact emergency services, but evidently your phone was dead. You used it for the music.

"Could you check your phone? Mine's dead"

Connie scrambled for her phone in the side compartment. Shuffling and moving clutter to find nothing. "My phone's gone?", She shot her hand up in bafflement while she continued scavenging the same compartment with the opposite hand.

"Are you sure you left it in there?"

"Yeah, I swear to god I did. I don't understand how it could have gone missing all of a sudden!"

You didn't want to admit it but...you were sure you guys were stuck there. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong just out of the blue, and you felt the sudden urge to cry due to stress. Though you chose to swallow the tight ball in your throat down and held strong. Connie gave up searching and quickly moved to scan through the glove box in front of you. Nothing.