"Holy carb overload."

"I know. He wants us to eat healthy."

"Biscuits, sausage, muffins, and cookies?"

I laughed lightly. "It's dad's version of healthy."

"Okay. So we have the bag o'carbs and then whatever we find at ToniJo's."

"She makes those really good apple turnovers."

"Healthy," Ashley said.

"They have apples in them."

"Apple pie filling, Ellie."

"Eh," I mumbled shrugging while pulling out a sausage biscuit.

I took a huge bite and already had one out and ready for Ashley because no wolf could resist the delicious smell of my dad's homemade sausage patties.

"Okay, so they're good."

"I know. Fresh sausage. Dad uses his own mixture of spices and stuff in them. They are so good."

She pulled up to one of the gas pumps to fill up her car while I pulled out my wallet.

"I get gas this time and you get snacks?"

"Sounds like a plan," I said.

"You know what I want?"

"Of, course, Ash. Spicy Doritos, Zingers, and a diet Dr Pepper."

"Righteo!"

"You eat weird food."

"But you love me!"

"I do, weirdo."

I went into the store and grabbed a little basket loading it up with everything I thought we could possibly want to eat until we reached the next pack territory. I heard the door ding while perusing the drink selection, choosing juices, sodas, and waters to add to my growing basket.

"Looks like you're going somewhere?" a voice asked behind me.

I spun on my heels coming face-to-face with Alpha Anwar.

"Alpha. Hi. Um, goodmorning. Yeah. Just a little ride."

"A lot of snacks for a little ride."

I chewed my lip while staring at the basket. "Oh, uh, yeah. I guess we'll have stuff left over."

"I know you're leaving, Ellie."

I looked down at my shoes. "Dad?"

"Mm-hmm. He told me after the meeting."

"The meeting is over already?" I asked.

"There wasn't much to talk about. We have no update yet."

"Oh." I stared at the basket of junk food. "I figured he'd tell you but after we left."

"Is it because of Alex?"

My cheeks flushed. "Partly."

"I've heard about the terrible way he and Harmony have been acting. I am sorry."

"It's not your fault, sir."

"I raised him better than that. He shouldn't have marked your sister the way he did and he should have known to give you space."

I pursed my lips and looked down. Talking about it felt like just reopening the wound and rubbing salt into it over and over again.

"I want you to know, you have our blessing to go on this trip."

"Sir?"

"The Luna and I talked about it and we feel that this could be good for you. You are a smart girl. We could maybe use what you learn to help our own pack."

I smiled at the man.

"Now, when you get to the royal city, I'll send word to King Orsand to let him know that our Beta's daughter is visiting. He'll be able to help you with anything you may need."

"I-I don't know what to say."

"Just say you'll come home, but only when you're ready."

"Yes, of course."

"Good. Be safe, dear child."

"I will, Alpha. Thank you."

I dropped the basket and reached out to hug the man. I heard the clerk at the counter gasp as he hugged me back. Once we finished our conversation he was gone just as quick as he arrived.

I grabbed a few of the apple turnovers and headed to the counter.

"Uh, this should be it."

The clerk rang me up and Ashley and I were on our way.

"Did you see Alpha was here?" she asked.

"Yeah. He came to give us his blessing for the trip."

She raised her eyebrows. "He did?"

"Yeah."

"That's good. So where to first?"

"Uh, I think the next territory over is Misty Pines." I pulled out a map and examined the territory's borders.

"Ugh, Misty Pines? There is nothing there!"

"Oh, I'm sure there's something. We've never been there so hopefully, we can keep busy for a few days before moving on."

"Fine. Off to Misty Pines."