"Will has sent me to retrieve a file he said was on his desk, could you direct me to his study?" Steven asked.

Marguerite nodded. "Yes, come this way." She motioned for him to follow her, Giselle tagging along in interest.

Marguerite lead the man to Will's study, and sure enough, the file was right in the center of the desk, perfectly aligned with the wood grain. Steven picked it up and looked through it before tucking it under his arm.

"Thank you very much, ladies," he said, looking in between them. "Unfortunately, I have to return this. Our dear William made me come here even though I'm supposed to be off of work already," he teased.

"Yep, that sounds like Will," Giselle said. "Come on, I'll show you out," she offered, walking him back to the door. Once they got back to the door, she opened it, expecting him to say goodbye and leave, but he lingered.

"So, who are you to my friend Will?" he asked her, looking curious.

"She's a relative of Selene's," Marguerite answered, "visiting from London to help out while Selene is visiting family. She's American, isn't that interesting?"

"Yes, very interesting," Steven stated, studying Giselle. "I would love to get to hear some stories of America. I've never been." He paused briefly, looking her over again. "How about lunch? I can come pick you up after I drop this file off," Steven offered lightning fast, a grin on his lips.

"That's a hassle, why don't you just take her with you now?" Marguerite suggested, smirking at Giselle. Steven raised an eyebrow as he waited for Giselle's answer.

"Um, sure," she ended up saying, feeling backed into a corner. "I'll go grab my shoes and purse." She hurried to her room, slipping her feet into her heels and snatching up her purse from the hook on the back of the door before click-clacking back to the foyer. "I'm all ready," she informed. "Bye, Marguerite."

"Bye! Be careful!"

Steven held out his elbow, and she looped her arm through his. "Trust me, Marguerite, she's in good hands."

Steven turned out to be a fun conversationalist, making her laugh with his humor and funny anecdotes. He was also incredibly handsome.

But he wasn't Will.

Eventually, they pulled up to the brick building with stacks of logs stretching out for nearly half a mile beyond it.

Dare & Sandoval Lumber Co. was written on the sign of the building, bringing a smile to Giselle's lips.

So this is Will's work . . .

"I'll make haste," Steven said as he opened his door and left.

"Wait," she called to him, getting out of the car. "Is it alright if I come in, too? I've always wanted to see Will's work."

Steven grinned like it was the best idea in the world, coming over to clasp his hand in hers, pulling her to the entrance of the building. "Absolutely. I'd never pass up the opportunity to show off my new treasure," he said, winking at her. "I'll be the most envied man in the office when they see that I've found a beautiful American."

He opened the door and ushered her inside, still keeping her hand firmly in his. They passed by a woman sitting at a secretarial desk with thick glasses, her eyes watching them as they passed. Steven nodded to her in greeting, making her blush profusely.

Beyond the Broken AngelOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara