Taking Records

Unexpectedly, and in a sense of urgency, she walks towards my cedar cabinet and takes a deep interest in my vinyl collection. "Sir, you really put your Anthony Albonussy into this collection", she flatters me. "This one's a classic", I brag nervously, as I blow the dust of my 1986 original pressing of John Farnham's 'Whispering Jack'. She holds the record in her hands and sniffs it. "I love the smell of old vinyl", she reveals. If this is strengthening our overseas bonds, then who am I to deny us of it. Her eyes gait past my extensive collection of King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard records. "I didn't picture you as a prog rock kind of guy Mr Ablanese", she admits with a hint of her famous Cinda sass. "There's not much I won't do Ms Ardern", I confidently retort, offering her a wink alongside the most charming of smirks. Before she could even acknowledge my response, she's drawn towards my copy of Powderfinger's 'Oddyssey number 5'. "I love this one", she says, struck with sincere awe for my expansive and diverse selection of Aussie tunes. As she fixes her eyes on the record, I decide to gift it to her, remembering that I am in fact the Prime Minister of the country with the worlds 61st fastest internet and am thus able to afford to repurchase the album. She's impressed by my generosity and steps forward as to limit the space in between us. My mind drifts to the track list of the album and I can't help but draw parallels between the titles and the way I am feeling. "First, let's pop it on shall we?", I suggest, immediately debating whether to flip the record to the B-Side so that I can act surprised when "We should be together now" plays for us. I decide to test my patience and stick to the A-Side so as not to be suggestive. At least this way I'll get to look into her eyes and listen to "My happiness."