Tunnels Without a Guide

Start from the beginning

"Hey, guys! I think we lost 'em!"

Deuce stole a glance back, only slightly slowing down. Elle admired his athleticism. He should seriously consider joining track or cross country.
"We're not out of the woods just yet. Let's keep going!"

"While I get that you wanna skedaddle as soon as possible, I think Elle's gonna fall over."

As Grim said, Elle was starting to feel dizzy. Her legs hurt, and she felt like she would collapse if she stopped for a moment. Of course, she would rather just collapse than ask them to slow down for her sake.

"N-No, I can keep going. Don't....Don't worry about me."

Ace was about to call her out on the blatant lie, but was cut off by Grim.

"Myah! Did you hear a noise just now?!"

"What, other than blondie lying through her teeth?"

"Shut up, Ace. Try taking this seriously. You think we didn't lose them after all?"

Yu raised his forearm up, signaling for the group to stop.

"Shh! Something's over there!"

Elle sank to the ground next to a large rock, breathing heavily and releasing the fire monster. Deuce was immediately by her side, concern flashing in his eyes.

"Are you sure you're alright? Next time we have to run, just let me carry you. I'm pretty strong, so I can handle it."

"I....alright. As long as you're sure." Even though she said that, she knew she wouldn't actually take him up on his offer. She just didn't want to worry him or start an unnecessary argument. Hopefully he would forget about it if they needed to run again at any point.

"Of course I'm sure! You can count on me."

"Are you guys done? We've kinda got more pressing matters to deal with."

Ace shot the two an irritated glare before turning to peer over the large rock they were currently resting behind. He clicked his tongue.

"Right. Sorry." Elle immediately backed down, apologizing. Deuce glared right back over at the heart marked boy, which Ace pretended not to see.

"What's your problem? All I'm doing is making sure we all get out safe. Is showing basic empathy a crime to you?"

"Ghosts are my problem, actually. They're floating around here too. Also, that wasn't basic empathy, that was you being cringe."

"I was not-!"

Elle decided to focus on catching her breath rather than trying to stop the incoming argument. Yu sat down beside her, tilting his head.

"Are you doing okay, Elle?"

She nodded, giving him the most reassuring smile she could.

"Good. I'm glad. We're going to need to start moving again soon probably, so rest while you can."

Elle took a deep breath, nodding once more. She glanced over to Ace and Deuce to see if they had stopped arguing yet.

"The only reason we're here in the first place is because of that stupid stunt you pulled."

"Oh? I'm pretty sure this all started because you tried to shirk your window-cleaning duties!"

They had not.

"So we're bringing up ancient history now? Then if you wanna get down to brass tacks, this all started when furball torched that statue!"

And now Ace was getting Grim involved.