Chapter 21: Paths.

Start from the beginning

Aoi: Hibiki, let's go.

Hibiki didn't respond and just locked eyes with Onizuka as he walked over.

Onizuka: I thought I recognised you, Hibiki Okida, you and I need to have a little chat in private.

Hibiki didn't speak, merely nodding and turning to Aoi with a drawn look.

Hibiki (quietly): Aoi, I'm sorry. I'll catch up with you soon, go without me.

Aoi nodded upon seeing the serious look in his eyes and started to walk along the path, letting go of his hand.

Onizuka: You hate me for handing over your ignis friend to SOL tech, don't you?

Hibiki gave a stony stare that caused Onizuka to frown, crossing his arms.

Onizuka: Well, just know that...

Hibiki: Rags... His name, it was Rags.

The teen looked up at Onizuka, his face mixed with anger.

Hibiki: He was a good friend to me Onizuka, more than anyone who wasn't digital had been before I met him. I should hate you... I really should... But I can't help see you as you were before all this.

Onizuka: Well I'm sorry for what I did. I don't expect you to forgive me or anything, I'm not that naive. But almost dying after my loss to playmaker made me realise I should set this right.

Hibiki: I'm glad you don't, because forgiveness is in short supply right now. Though thank you for trying I guess, knowing that you are sorry might make it easier for me to do so.

Onizuka: Hm. Losing something you hold close is hard and I don't want to know what I put you through, but I couldn't imagine how I'd react if something happened to those kids. Be careful out there.

Hibiki: Yeah... You too Go Onizuka.

Hibiki turned and started to walk away, heading back to Aoi and she gave him a concerned look.

Aoi: Are you okay?

Hibiki: Y-yeah, I'll be fine. Let's go.

Aoi: Right.

The two started to walk but Aoi paused and looked over at Hibiki, his face troubled and eyes focused on the a blue USB he had taken out of his pocket.

Aoi: Hibiki..? What did Go Onizuka say to you?

Hibiki: He told me he was sorry, but he didn't expect my forgiveness. I don't know what to feel about it.

Aoi: And that's making you think of the message again isn't it?

Hibiki nodded sullenly, placing the drive into Aoi's hand for a second.

Hibiki: I want to watch it and though I'm afraid of seeing him again, I have to do this alone. I'm heading back to my apartment. I'll be in touch afterwards, though please, check in if I don't talk with you soon.

Aoi: You can count on me to do that. Just, be careful alright? And if it is too much, just stop the message. You don't have to sit through it.

Hibiki nodded and the two took seperate paths, Hibiki stopping when he had locked the door of his apartment behind him and sat down on his couch with his laptop.

Hibiki: Okay... Here goes.

Hibiki plugged in the drive from his pocket and pulled up his file explorer, finding the USB and going into it. There was only a single file inside. He clicked the icon and braced himself as his video player loaded.

Rags (Video): Hey partner. I'm not going to pretend here, if you're seeing this video I'm dead....

Hibiki paused the recording and gently touched the screen, his heart pounding at the sight of his old ignis. Slowly, he pressed the play button again.