Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot.

"Yes!" I exclaim softly, stepping through the safety of the bathroom threshold and carefully locking the door. Hanging the towels on the rack, I swing open the shower curtains and turn on the faucet, making sure the water is scalding hot before I undress and jump inside.

As a stream of reviving water trickles down my hair and body, I mindlessly use whatever products I can find, all of 'em with hints of woodsy cedar and California ocean freshness. Hmm. Not bad. At least he's using products other than generic green soap. Although, based on our brief interactions, Jesse seems to be anything but a basic bitch. This little observation might end up working for me or against me. Time will tell. But time's not on my side.

I need a plan. I need a plan ASAP. Jesse better not have a limited hot water tank because I intend to stay in this steam dungeon until I can figure out my next steps.

Alright. The facts. Jesse said I can stay here one night. Clearly, that's not going to work, given that Beau's not due back for another six days. Maybe I can make myself useful in some way or another. But how? I could clean! Tidy up a bit? But...it's already rather spotless around this house as far as I've seen. I could cook! Who am I kidding? I can't cook. Does opening a yogurt count as cooking? Hi Jesse, let me just peel that banana for you, okay? Yeah. That's not gonna fly.

Oh, God...okay, moving on.

I could...teach him how to do a handstand? A little flexibility training? It's important to be agile in his line of work, right? Easier to...escape law enforcement? On second thought, maybe not. I don't want to be an accomplice. No way. Okay, maybe I can teach him to twirl a baton? A little party trick? Recite Shakespeare with accurate pronunciation? Ride a horse? Say the alphabet backward? Paint by color? Show him how to make a mean margarita?

As I run through all my evidently useless skills, my chest grows heavy with hopelessness. There's nothing. I have nothing—

"No fucking way, dude." Jesse's thundering voice slices through my thoughts, and I snap my neck toward the bathroom door. "Absolutely not."

Uh-oh. He's here.

Turning off the tap, I hop out of the shower and wrap the towel around my body as I intensively eavesdrop on his conversation. Great, he's already in a foul mood. I'm starting off at a negative one, and I haven't even pleaded my case for free room and board yet.

"Why can't she stay at yours?" he barks, pausing before adding, "Lucky's a little bitch, Rad—" What?! Rad? He's talking to Beau? "He won't fucking try anything..." A pause. "I don't see how that's suddenly my problem."

Tripping over my own feet, I scramble to unlock the door, bolting out and running toward Jesse, who's pacing around the kitchen, phone pressed against his ear.

"Is that Beau?!" I ask in an eager tone, startling Jesse as he turns around, mouth slightly agape as he stares at me, the tip of his tongue flicking against his lips. "Give me the phone!" I charge toward him, holding out my hand in desperation. "I want to talk to him! Give me the phone."

Beau. He could be the answer. He'll have a solution. He was always good at innovative problem-solving.

"Your sister's awake," Jesse says into the receiver, gaze flitting across my impatient features as I tirelessly try to snatch the phone from his hand. Jesse dodges my attempts, circling the dining room table as he chuckles. "Yeah, I don't think she wants to talk to you."

Dickhead!

"Give me the phone! Beau!"

"Yeah, I don't know, brother." Jesse glances back at me, smirking, as I chase him around the kitchen like a herding dog who's seen better days. "I think she's a bit mad that you weren't here to welcome her unannounced arrival." He pauses, shooting me a lopsided smile as I continue to shout Beau's name. "Yeah, I think that's stupid, too."