"Didn't I say not to touch him?" Tiberius snapped.

"Hm?" Wyatt retracted his hand, and Jack moved to the other side of the hall, not taking his eyes off him. "Oh yes, yes, Your Highness, of course, I heard you loud and clear. I just thought I should introduce myself. Manners, you know." He leapt to the center of the hall, extending a hand to Jack. "Wyatt Haven," he grinned widely and tilted his head. "Ironic, isn't it?"

Jack hesitated only for a second before he decided to feign courage and briefly shook Wyatt's hand. "What is?"

"My name! 'Haven.' Makes me sound like a safe space, doesn't it?"

Jack yanked his hand back and reached instantly for his camera. He held it up, poised to take a picture. "Get away," he warned.

Wyatt barked a surprised laugh. "Oh I like him!"

"Jack, please," Tiberius held a hand out to him. Jack refused to take his eyes off Wyatt and his grin. "Wyatt," he growled, "walk in front of him."

"Why?"

"Because he's smart," Tiberius said impatiently, "and won't turn his back to you."

Wyatt giggled, and offered an elbow to him. "You can keep a better eye on me if you're right next to me."

Jack couldn't tell if Wyatt was serious or not. It didn't matter though because in a second, Tiberius was standing between them, glaring at Wyatt with a murderous scowl.

"Jack Hunter," he said darkly, "is my mate, Haven."

Wyatt's smile dimmed and he retracted his elbow. "Oh," he said. "So you're the one."

"No, I'm not," Jack huffed, stuffing his camera back in his bag. His heart was rattling in his chest and he was uncomfortable with all the newfound attention. He'd thought he'd had enough of an audience writing his columns, but only now did he realize that he'd enjoyed some measure of anonymity being one small part of the paper. Now people looked at him like what he was; their king's prized possession.

"I'm sick of telling people I'm not your mate," he said.

Wyatt hummed, crossing his arms behind his head. "Then I suggest you stop. No one believes you anyway." He sniffed the air. "Yep, you reek of matehood." He grinned. "Or is that just all the blood?"

Jack pulled his jacket tighter over his stained shirt.

"Can we just go downstairs please?" Jack mumbled.

Without looking away from Wyatt, Tiberius held a hand out to Jack. Jack swallowed and took it. I need the protection, he told himself. That's the only reason I'm holding his hand.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Wyatt fell into step beside them.

"What's the quickest way out of here?" Jack said, not really expecting an answer.

"Probably the northeast tunnel," Wyatt said. Tiberius's grip on Jack's hand tightened ever so slightly.

Jack narrowed his eyes. "Northeast tunnel?"

"Where the trolls live!" Wyatt said cheerfully. "It's filled with corpses! All kinds of corpses! Animal corpses, human corpses, fairy corpses! One of those is a lie, can you figure out which?"