Chapter 23 - The Anomaly in the Nine Realms [Pt. 1]

Start from the beginning

Something was amiss.

She did not know who or what it was, for that something had too little presence for her to single out and analyse it carefully. There was something in this realm, something so out of place, so out of time, and so, alongside Gun Gun's banquet, she had also been keeping her ears open through the realms to hear anything from anyone - rocks, flowers, animals, demons, fairies, mermaids, even mortals, anything that could give her information.

But so far, there was none. Perhaps, this something was veiled from their eyes? Which would be a curious thing indeed, a rare singularity in this world.

There is something in this anomaly, something that calls her soul, pulls her ichor in many ways that it had not been since many years ago. It feels comforting - which is something phenomenal, since the number of things that make her feel as if she is safe can be counted with one hand - like the warmth of the sun after the winter. This feeling of apricity was foreign, but it was a welcomed one.

Perhaps she can make time for this. After Gun Gun's banquet, that is. Perhaps she should also enlist the aid of Gu Xiao Yu for this matter - his tracking skills, after all, had been one of the best.

For the third time, Feng Jiu exhaled a sigh, pushing herself to a stand. She directed the books sprawled open in her study to close, placing them in a neat pile in one of the tables. With these many things weighing her mind, it appears she cannot find any motivation to proofread the books Fenrir and Jormungandr had co-authored - not even for the many hilarious translation mistakes that led to amusing results.

Oh well, Hela had always been the quick learner among the lot.

A knock breaks Feng Jiu out of her reverie. Her gaze to the entrace of the Fox Hole, a frown graces her lips, wondering who would be seeking audience with her. Nevertheless, she strode to the entrance of the cave.

Perhaps it was the lack of rain again in the Southern Border. Zhihe could be petty when she wanted to, but her pitiful attempts of getting even with her was so insignificant that Feng Jiu could afford not batting an eyelash to her direction at all.

A curt greeting was upon her tongue, but the moment she saw her guest, the words died immediately, fear blooming in her heart as she looked at Dong Hua's unmistakeable white hair and purple robes.

Time slowed to a standstill around the two of them, and for a few brief moments, Feng Jiu allowed hersef to look at him properly. The years had been long, but time seemed to not have affected him at all.

And then it was over. Feng Jiu willed herself to forget she ever did that, steeling her heart and her resolve.

"Greetings, Your Majesty. To what honor does the monarch of Eastern Qing Qiu owe you this visit?" greetings between master and subordinate, but not one that would be exchanged between former spouses - too cold, too curt, too distant.

"Xiao Bai..."

The fox monarch's cordial smile stiffened hearing the name she grew to love and loathe over time. Still, she kept the trembling of her wrists in check, pinching the soft skin, not trusting herself to be able to remain calm after hearing that damning endearment.