Chapter 1. Talk to me, Goose

"Now let's go teach these kids how to kick some ass!" ~ P.M.M.

After Maverick flew through Iceman's jet wash, he was able to get his jet back into control and ended up scoring another point. Maverick and Goose went on to win the Top Gun Trophy by three points. After graduating Top Gun, the two of them were sent out on a mission where they were able to shoot down three enemy MIg's, being the only two pilots for the next 40 years to do so. The duo proceeded to be instructors at Top Gun for about two months until Maverick was asked to test fly jets. Meanwhile, Goose was asked to continue to instruct at Top Gun. 

The pair still remained close, especially considering Goose's son was now a pilot as well. 

After being called back to Top Gun for a top secret mission, Maverick and Goose were about to be teaching buddies after 25 years.

-

As Maverick rode up on his  motorcycle, Goose who was standing outside the building, waiting for his old partner, let out his signature "Aha!" Once Maverick was within ear shot.  

"Aha." Maverick responded as he hopped off of his bike and made his way over to his old RIO. The two of them gave each other a quick hug, smiling as they pulled away and catching up on life as they walked into the building. 

"So, Mav, what did you do to end up here?" Maverick gave Goose an almost offended look as he let out a dramatic gasp. "What makes you think I did something wrong?" Goose just stared at him, giving him a look indicating that he knew Maverick all too well to know that he would not be here by choice.

Maverick rolled his eyes, accepting that Goose was right before he answered. "I was testing a new aircraft even though our program was getting shut down." 

Goose just continued to stare at Maverick, knowing that there had to be more to it as he asked him a simple, "And?"

Maverick rubbed the back of his neck anxiously as he cringed while telling the rest of his story. "I ended up going to Mach 10.4 and crashing the jet." Goose just smirked at him, before rolling his eyes, not expecting anything less from his old parter.

"How the hell have you not been grounded?" Goose asked, patting his friend on the back.

"Ice keeps saving my ass, but I have a feeling this is my last stop." Both Goose and Maverick stopped and looked at the portrait of Iceman that was hung in the atrium, staring at it until they were both invited into the briefing room.

"Nick 'Goose' Bradshaw and Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell," The man, Admiral Simpson, paused while taking a look at the two men that stood in front of him. "Your reputation proceeds you." 

Maverick and Goose give each other a look before Maverick responded with a small. "Thank you, Sir."

"That wasn't a compliment." The man responded causing Maverick and Goose both to just nod awkwardly at the Admiral's response as Maverick pursed his lips together.

"I'm Admiral Simpson, this is Admiral Bates." Simpson gestured towards the man sitting next to him as Maverick and Goose nodded in greeting towards the other Admiral.

"I must say, I wasn't expecting an invitation back." Maverick teased to which neither of the Admiral's laughed as Bates just looked at him with a cocked head before responding with, "They're called orders, Maverick."

"Sir, with all due respect, could we maybe just get to the point as to why we're here." Goose asked, knowing that if Maverick said something else they'd probably end up in more trouble than Maverick was already in.