Chapter 12.3 - Introductions

They walked. A sliver of moon rose, giving them a little more light to see by, and the girl slowed her pace. Her head still swiveled constantly, watching the shadows.

"What's your name?" he asked.

She scrawled in the notebook and held it up to the light, still walking.

Amaranth

"Who was shooting at me, Amaranth?" Christopher asked.

She turned to look at him, then closed the notebook and kept walking.

He stopped.

"Look, I've had a lot happen to me out here, and none of it makes any sense. Yesterday I didn't know if anyone even lived out here. Now I've apparently got someone trying to kill me. You've got to tell me something about what's going on."

She wrote in the book.

Be patient. Answers when we get there.

"Where is there?"

She started walking again.

"Look," Christopher said. "I need you to give me something here, or I'm not going."

Amaranth turned to face him. He tried to look determined, despite holding the thin blanket wrapped around him and shivering. She half-smiled sadly at him, raised a hand in farewell, and walked backward a few paces before turning and continuing on her way.

Christopher sighed and followed.

"What a skill, to be sarcastic without even speaking."

They walked for hours, Christopher in sullen silence, Amaranth seemingly in her element. She exuded a confidence and grace moving through the woods. After a while, he realized that she was leading him through the thickest parts of the forest, keeping them well-hidden from distant eyes.

"Did you leave that rabbit for me?" he asked.

She nodded.

"How long have you been watching me?"

She didn't reply.

Christopher felt himself beginning to slow. He stumbled. He hadn't gotten a proper meal or a rest after he set up camp, and the blanket wasn't an adequate replacement for his coat, especially as the night grew colder. He clenched his jaw to keep his teeth from chattering.

Amaranth glanced back at him, and he thought he caught a hint of concern behind the serious expression.

Finally, she stopped and took out the notebook again.

Wait here.

Christopher looked around. They were still in the middle of the forest, in a place that looked the same as anywhere else they had hiked that night.

"What do you mean, 'wait here?'" he hissed. "You're the first person I've seen since my plane crashed. I'd rather not be alone in the woods again."

I'll come back.

He nodded. There wasn't much point in arguing. She could run off into the woods if she wanted to, and he would never be able to keep up.

She crept off, and he found a dry patch of soft forest detritus under a big pine. He sat with his back to the tree, the blanket wrapped tightly around him. He instinctively faced south, away from the broken mountain peak and the source of the shooting.

Christopher tried not to nod off, his fingers going numb, wondering if he was cold enough now that he might not wake up again. He could no longer keep his teeth from chattering. He vaguely remembered reading that it was only when the body gave up on shivering that you really knew you were in trouble.