Chapter 01: Forks

Ella's POVI watched from the backseat behind the driver's as we rode on a two lane highway along which in dad's police cruiser

Ella's POV
I watched from the backseat behind the driver's as we rode on a two lane highway along which in dad's police cruiser.

Bella sits in the passenger seat with Dani behind her and MiMi in between Dani and I. Dani fiddles with a loose strand of her hair while MiMi fiddles with her own fingers and gnaws on her bottom lip. There's a tense awkwardness in the car that only Bella doesn't seem to notice as she looks out her windows, and takes in her gloomy new surroundings.

Bella sits next to our uniformed father, police chief Charlie. He's in his 40's. Taciturn, introverted like the three of us in the back and unlike how Bella pretends to be. Their strained silence contrasts Bella's relationship with her mother. Whereas it's the same for us with our mother.

Charlie decided to break the ice "All of yours hairstyles look different. Did you get 'em cut or something?" I practically leap for an excuse to talk "Dani's growing her's out to make a wig for a friend and MiMi's losing her pixie cut. I haven't really done anything yet but I was thinking about dyeing my hair blonde" Charlie smiles but before he can comment Bella says in a bored bland tone "I cut it since last time I saw you" Charlie nods distracted before telling me "I think blonde will be an interesting look on you Ella, just be careful with the chemicals" I nodded.

Silence again. Until Charlie says "How's your mom?" I respond "She's good" but Bella adds "She's happier with her new husband Phil. Why do you care?" Charlie winces and we glare at her. I'm not even sure what to say to that, and it seems that my other siblings don't know either. So it's more silence. Yikes.

We pass a SIGN: "The City Of Forks Welcomes You - Pop. 3246." Bella sighs while I mentally add '3250 now....'

As the cruiser drives through, we all take in this logging town every storefront has a wood carving. The Timber Museum's sign is two loggers sawing a stump. The police station is a small wooden building across from City Hall. The town is cute, quiet, and peaceful. I can already tell that MiMi, Dani, and I will love it here, but Bella is going to hate it.......... unless the mayor has an attractive son.

The cruiser eventually pulls up to the old two-story house. A woodshed full of firewood. There's a small boat in the garage, fishing gear, an old buoy. Bella climbs out and Charlie opens my door so the three of us can exit the vehicle as well. I look up at the old house that I haven't lived in since I was 2 years old '... home' I can't help but think.

We all enter the house carrying in our bags while Charlie carries Bella since she refused to lift a finger. The house isn't stylish, the only new thing here is a Flat Screen T.V., but it's comfortable, lived-in. Lots of fishing memorabilia; photos of Charlie fishing with Quileute Indian Billy Black. Handmade cards to 'Daddy' and photos of Bella and I. Bella winces at
herself, age 7, in a tutu, sitting stubbornly on the ground with me gracefully posed next to her and Dani (6) twerking in her tutu.

"I put Grandpa's old desk in Bella and Ella's room. And I cleared out the upstairs bathroom. And made up the attic for Dani and Mika-" Bella interrupts and asks "Wait, there's only one bathroom? And I have to share a room?" She's clearly upset and Charlie attempts to pacify her "There's actually three bathrooms. The one under the stairs is for me to get ready for work. The one on the second floor is for you and Ella to share, and the one in the attic is for Dani and Mika. As for the bedrooms....you guys came a bit short notice and I didn't have the time to reconstruct the entire upstairs so yes you'll have to share, but at least it's with your twin?"