Chapter Five | The Importance of Language

Comenzar desde el principio

Shaking, she reached for the door-handle and opened it with the upmost care. The room was brighter than the hallways, with a large light in the middle looking like a spotlight onto a wall of portraits. One of which was Luigi! Then she realised, Luigi had told her about this on the way back from tennis, he had been rambling about how he was interested in ghosts and how to capture and release souls. Using a machine called a Poltergust, which was similar to a vacuum in that it sucked the ghosts up, with an additional beam of light that would save people from being trapped in paintings. Which was where Luigi was! She was overly relieved she figured that out and opened the door enough for her to slide through. 

Silently, she closed the door behind her and tip-toed behind a dining room table. She could hear her heart beating in her chest, making her head pound slightly.

In the corner of the room, she saw something that looked like a vacuum cleaner and crawled over to it, making sure her knees didn't bash against the hardwood flooring. When she reached the corner of the room, she looked at the red machine, engraved into the side read 'Poltergust 3000' and beside it in black marker said 'Property of LM' which she predicted stood for Luigi Mario. What an unfortune last name. She picked it up and inspected it closely, just hoping it wouldn't make a sound when she used it. The fate of her new found love lay in the hands of this complicated machine. Or, in her hands, which was a much more daunting thought.

Her hands were shaking as she tip-toed over to the painting of the man in green and she pointed the Poltergust at him, also hoping it wouldn't harm him.

As she held down the trigger, she closed her eyes and tilted her head away, more scared than she ever had been.

The beam of light pointed directly at Painting Luigi's forehead before the paint melted. Before she knew it, something heavy jumped at her and, instinctively, she dropped the Poltergust and grabbed it. She opened her eyes to see a petrified looking Luigi in her arms, his hair was puffing in all directions and as he realised it was Daisy his face went brighter pink. Relief seemed to wash over him, and he gleefully wrapped his arms around her neck and buried his face into her shoulder. She heard a mumble in her upper arm but couldn't make out what he said, she could just feel the content smile against her. She felt warm and protective as she held him, and time seemed to slow.

The Poltergust smashed onto the ground, making time speed back up which felt like a broken video tape. Panicking, she dropped Luigi onto the ground, making him stumble over his ankle, but before he fell onto the ground, she grabbed him by the waist and pulled him closer, making him turn a shade of vermillion.

"And who might you be?" The Boo asked, spinning around on his swivel desk chair. Daisy turned to face him, protectively pushing Luigi behind her.

"I could ask the same to you." Daisy spat, disapprovingly. The Boo's eyebrows furrowed, and he stood up angrily, making the chair spin with force.

"I'm the King of the Boo's?" He said, almost questionably, "Who are you to ask me that?"

Daisy almost chuckled, she, in terms of the feudal system, was more important than a King.

Dramatically, she lifted her hand to her heart and with her other hand, ushered Luigi to safety.

"I," She begun, "Am Empress Daisy of Sarasaland. And I, am much higher up than you will ever be, King Boo." Luigi tried to sneak off while he was distracted by Daisy, but he noticed.

"Luigi, please, one chance. I love you." The King pleaded, hands together. Silence ran over the three of them, making Luigi sweat nervously.

"I-" Luigi tried to say something, but his voice cracked and trailed off. Daisy decided upon the only way out of this situation.

"King Boo." She addressed him professionally. "You don't love him." She paused, thinking it through. "I love him."

Immediately, Luigi fainted onto a matted carpet, the force of the fall making her worried. King Boo removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes, distressed. Daisy ran over to Luigi's limp body and slung him over her shoulder. Determinedly, she flung open the door and charged erratically down the hallway looking for another room to hide while Luigi awoke. She found a small door and slipped inside, gently placing him onto a rug. Calculating the best move, she looked at a chest of drawers close to the door and pushed it with all her might to cover the door.

She hopped back over to Luigi and began shaking him lightly.

"Luigi. Wake up, Luigi. I'm sorry, you fainted because of me. It wasn't the best way to escape, but, hey, it worked." She murmured politely. Bending her head down sadly, worried he wouldn't want to speak to her anymore.

Overwhelmed, she noticed his eyes open and spot her. He sat up and held onto her upper arms,

"Aspetta, quell oche hai detto era vero? Daisy... oh mio dio mi ami? Ti amo... ti amo moltissimo... non mi aspettavo che ti piacessi tanto... ah scusa se dico troppo... ma è vero- "

She stopped his Italian rambling by kissing him, his lips felt warm, and she could feel his expression change from chaotic to surprised then content.

All they had to do was leave this god-awful mansion and they would be able to be together forever. She smirked so heavily she had to stop for breath, she looked into his eyes,

"In English?" She suggested. He smiled in acceptance and began,

"To sum it up... Daisy, I love you too."