NINE

The fairgrounds sat at the outer edge of town. They abutted the dense forest of a state park known for its hiking trails and old-growth trees. It also held a series of interconnected caves spanning five square miles west-southwest. The caves were well-mapped, but sections deemed too dangerous for exploration were barred with heavy metal grates. While most people heeded the warnings of the barriers, those with enough determination didn't let it stop them. They were usually the ones who never returned home.

After announcing loudly, suggestively, that they should go check out the caves, Addison led Gray on a leisurely stroll past the fairgrounds' unmarked boundary line and into the woods. She made sure to glance back at him regularly, a mischievous smile plastered on her face for the benefit of their audience. She couldn't see the two women anywhere, but the burn in her chest assured they weren't far.

They came across the cave a hundred yards past the tree line, the entrance carved into the side of a large rise of limestone. While the park had no official hours of operation, only a daring few wandered into the woods at night, and even fewer braved the caves. The chances of them running into humans out there were low, but not impossible.

Addison ducked through the cave's entrance, pulling Gray with her into the shadows. She let out a playful laugh loud enough for the vampires to hear.

"Something funny?" Gray asked in a hushed voice. His eyes roved her face, probably trying to make out her features in the dark.

She laughed again before leaning closer and whispering, "I thought you knew how to bait vampires."

He scoffed quietly. "I'm usually the ambush, not the bait." Twisting, he peered around the entrance's side to look back into the woods. "Especially when I can't see shit."

Addison let out an aggravated sigh and yanked him away from the opening. "They're supposed to think we're in here hooking up. You poking your head out to look around defeats the purpose."

Gray's brows lifted. "Hooking up? Isn't that phrase beneath you?"

"Are you calling me old?" Grabbing his arm to guide him, she moved them deeper into the cave. She scanned the dark interior for offshoots they could stage their ambush from. Had she known she'd end up in the caves that night, she would have scouted them beforehand. Small stones and leaves scattered under her feet as she walked. She could see well enough, but she didn't like being unprepared in an unfamiliar environment.

"More like mature," he whispered, following her into the dark. "I value my life too much to refer to any woman as old, even a vampire born in—" he paused, as if looking behind them "—whatever year you were."

"1784," she murmured, her attention primarily on their surroundings. Though she led Gray through the dark, he kept pace with her easily enough. For a man his size, though not a giant, his footsteps were surprisingly quiet.

He cursed under his breath. "That's a fucking mind trip."

"Syran's older."

"Yeah, but I didn't go on a date with him."

"Fake date."

"Still one of the best you've been on." His voice gave away the grin he undoubtedly wore.

Addison ignored him. She saw an opening about ten yards ahead of them. "Up here, left side."

They jogged to the spot she indicated, only to find it wasn't an offshoot, but a shallow recess in the wall. At no more than three feet wide and deep, it wasn't at all what Addison had in mind for staging an ambush.

"Shit," she hissed, looking back toward the cave's entrance. Shadows overtook the opening, cutting out the lights from the carnival. Their company was closing in. "This won't work. It's too shallow."